un

Un - One

Date/Time/Country in which you started this?

Everyone has something that tends to differentiate themselves from others. Often it's a talent or a personality trait. Others aren't so lucky. Sometimes it's something that they hate. A physical feature, or a tragic backstory. Lafayette Dubois was the latter, even if it wasn't so melodramatic. He was known for one thing, and one thing only.

For being gay.

Fay wasn't just some gay kid at school. He was the gay kid. He was popular and loved, hated and ridiculed, used and dropped. Everyone knew it was him when he entered a room. Fay wore crop tops to parties, makeup when he grew bored, and absolutely adored putting clips into his hair. There wasn't a single other boy at school who dared to do such a thing.

Of course, this didn't come without consequence. Closeted boys would use him for quick sex, girls would admire him like a fetish, and teachers would give him disapproving looks whenever he decided to dress in all pink — as though the color wasn't allowed to be worn on a boy. Through it all Fay wouldn't bat an eye. He never once complained, and he never dared to change himself.

It was honestly a bit funny, the way that everyone chose to hold his sexuality higher than all else. Not even his incessant French accent, or old-fashioned French name was of more importance. All that anyone cared about was which gender he fancied over the other.

As one might imagine, Fay was a total theatre junkie. He breathed Shakespeare and blood filled his veins solely for the sake of Molière. The only thing that made him feel free was when he stood on a stage in someone else's clothing, putting on a role that millions had before him. Many other students complained about the smell of mothballs that never seemed to wash out of the costumes, but Fay was in love with it. To him, it smelt like the butterflies in his stomach, and the passion that kept his heart pumping.

Just like everything else, no one recognized this. All they saw was that it made sense. The only kind of boy that would enjoy theatre was a gay one. They never saw the fire behind his eyes as he echoed the lines of famous playwrights. They hardly even registered the soul he poured out as he sang. To most, it didn't even exist.

It may have seemed odd, but Fay never really minded it too much. Maybe he was just convincing himself that he wasn't bothered. Or maybe he was truly indifferent to what people said. Either way, he was still undoubtedly himself. Which was something that most people could never do. However, no one likes it when their identity is ripped away from them and given to someone else. And since Fay was known as the gay, he was not a fan when things shifted.

That was when Eden Ramsey came along.

Now, Eden wasn't anything like Fay was. Where Fay was effeminate and flamboyant, Eden was masculine and a man of few words. So it wasn't his personality that bothered Fay at all. It was the fact that Eden was blatantly gay, which was all that most students seemed to see. Normally he would have been thrilled to have another out kid at school, but he wasn't so fortunate.

When Fay suddenly had to share his title with someone else, he wasn't excited one bit. People just assumed that because they were both gay, they were virtually the same person. Obviously, this wasn't the case at all.

Nothing about them seemed to be similar, and it quickly drove Fay insane. How could no one see that they were so different? Just because they were both interested in the same gender didn't mean that they were the same person. But no one understood.

As he did at the start of every school year, Fay attended a party. He had mascara coating his lashes and clear lipgloss accenting his smile. His torso was only partway covered by a fuzzy pastel yellow zip-up crop top, and he wore tight, light-blue skinny jeans. His hair was pushed back with yellow and blue barrettes to matched the outfit.