vingt

Vingt - Twenty

A smile found its way onto Fay's glossed lips as he spotted Eden leaning against his house. Fay had a red sweater on and a red ribbon complimenting his brown hair. Eden wore an army green jacket over a band tee, one hand cupping the lighter to keep the flame from blowing out due to the dusk wind.

Fay played with the straps on his backpack, veering away from the sidewalk and toward the other boy. Though Eden wasn't looking up, Fay ventured to guess that he knew of his sudden appearance due to how bright his red outfit was in contrast with the blue sunset.

"Hey." Fay greeted, having just got back from drama club. His teacher pretty much just further congratulated them all on their successful performance. They debuted on Saturday, then had a second performance on Sunday. Both days the auditorium was full, some people even going twice. Fay's family was one of them. Eisley and Cal did as well.

"Hey." Eden mumbled just as the cigarette was lit and he tucked the lighter back into his pocket. He took the stick in between his forefinger and middle finger as he took in a breath and handed it to Fay. "Drama club?"

Fay nodded as he inhaled the toxins. The smoke blew out of his mouth like a swirling fog that represented everything dark. "Yeah. We didn't really do much, though."

The lack of their voices didn't really feel like silence due to the ruffling of nearby trees, fluttering of late night birds, and buzz of distant traffic from so many streets away. Somehow, Fay found himself in the same place all over again.

The sun was setting, this time an onset of purple and blue, clouds illuminated by the dark hues and casting a soft glow down onto the world below. Another sunset outside of Eden's house. This one was so much different though.

And it wasn't because of the contrast of color tones, but rather the contrast in thought matter. Fay knew things about Eden that he hadn't before. About his sister, about his self-harm. Maybe even potential further abuse, or even a possible eating disorder.

Those were all things that Fay would never have thought to be a possibility until right then, as he stood beside the complex boy. His pink converse lightly played with the grass of Eden's front yard as they stood unspeaking.

Until, Fay parted his lips. "Tell me, what were your thoughts?"

Eden's green eyes glanced over at Fay, one eyebrow quirked up slightly as he tried to understand what Fay meant by that. "Thoughts on what?"

A smile grew on his lips as he stepped away from the house and faced Eden. "Why, my exquisite performance of Mercutio, of course." He then proceeded to bow extravagantly.

With the role of his eyes, a nice little smile formed on Eden's lips as well. It was relieving to see. Fay was scared that after that large fight, they would never make progress again. Everything had become about Eden's health, and it still was, but for the time being, it was nice to joke freely. "You answered your own question, didn't you?"

Fay hummer momentarily, stroking a nonexistent beard. "But that was in the words of Mercutio. What say you, E?"

As soon as he said it, Fay regretted it. Had he said it before without realizing it? It was such an easy habit to fall into. He prayed that he hadn't ruined the good mood, and when Eden only paused for a split second, Fay knew that he was going to let it slide. However, Fay still felt guilty for having said it at all.

Why Eden didn't like it so much, Fay had no idea. All he knew was that it was something he told him to stop doing, and he was doing it again because he had forgot.

"I say that it was good." Was all Eden gave away, knowing that remaining so neutral was not at all what Fay had hoped for. "You're a real natural when it comes to acting."