dix-sept

Dix-sept - Seventeen

"Earth to Fay." Eisley hummed into Fay's ear, resulting in Fay jumping a bit. His body jolted out of its blank state, hair falling in front of his face as it happened. Trying to pay attention to his surroundings, Fay reached for his headband and put it back on. The hair was pushed back and out of his vision.

"Sorry." He apologized to his friend, smiling innocently with the hopes of being on her good side. She seemed to take it with a smile, shrugging.

"It's fine." Eisley told him. She dropped a fry into her mouth before repeating what she had said. "I was asking if I could borrow your copy of Hamlet?"

Fay nodded, trying to remember why she needed a copy for the book to begin with. However, he couldn't seem to come to any successful conclusion. "Why do you need Hamlet again?"

Furrowing her thin brow, Eisley seemed unamused. She reached up and adjusted Fay's headband with worried eyes. "Alright, I can't take this anymore, babe. What's got you in such a weird mood? You doing alright?"

Fay sighed deeply, folding in on himself. He couldn't tell her what was eating him alive because it wasn't his right to do so. If anything, he should have been reaching out to Eden to clear things up between the two of them. Fay was just so scared that Eden had lied. What if he hurt himself again?

It wasn't that Fay thought that Eden would make all of that up. He believed that he had a sister who would force him to do something so horrible. What he didn't believe was the fact that Eden didn't do it anymore, or that he never did it of his own freewill. There had been so many scars that it didn't seem possible for his sister to have been there to inflict them all. But of course, Fay never approached Eden in the week that passed.

Why didn't anyone teach him what to do in a situation like that? Fay wanted to be able to help Eden, but just from the few times he saw him since, it wasn't going to happen. Their text messages stopped, their interactions ceased. What didn't stop, was Eden's disruptive behavior. As much as Fay hated it, he was oddly grateful. It meant that Eden wasn't too far gone to completely lose touch with himself.

"Okay, Eisley I need to ask you something." He did his best to find the right words. "But you have to promise that you won't make a big deal out of this. And I swear this isn't about myself, or Cal."

She studied Fay for a long moment, trying to decipher the legitimacy of what he was saying. Then finally, she nodded slowly. "I promise."

Fay was glad that she didn't feel the need to add any of her playful comments, because he didn't need any of that. This was a serious situation that he didn't know how to handle on his own. "Okay, so there's this person. I think that they might be hurting themself, but they said that they're not. How can I be sure that they aren't?"

Eisley instantly sat straighter, her expression morphed into one of concern. She weaved her fingers through his to show that she was there. "Fay, that's serious. If someone's hurting themself then you need to urge them to get help."

"But the problem is that I don't know if they are." Fay almost raised his voice before remembering that he was in public. The lunchroom was fairly loud, which helped to mask their conversation, but he was still scared of others being privy to it.

"Fay, who is it?" Eisley pressed. All signs of lighthearted were long gone by then. It was a serious matter and they were treating it as such.

"I can't tell you, Eisley." Fay groaned. He knew so many people that it would be impossible for Eisley to be able to guess which one it was even if she tried.

"In what way do you think they're hurting themself?" She asked instead, a bit annoyed with him for not telling her who it was, but still understanding.