cinq

Cinq - Five

"Hey, Eden!" A familiar voice startled Eden as he kept his head low, trudging through the school's corridors. People passed by, everyone thinking about something different. That always annoyed Eden. No matter how important his thoughts seemed, he would always be the only person thinking them. He turned his head, green eyes landing on a smiling Mia.

That was something Mia did a lot. She smiled and laughed an astonishing amount. Eden smiled. Just not so often. Recently, it had been less and less. Not that anyone noticed. No one noticed, because no one thought about the same things. Eden wished that for once, someone would share his mind. Maybe then the burden wouldn't be so great.

"What's up?" He asked, hands tucked into black pockets. As always, his hair was covered by his beanie. It had been a while since he had taken it off. He even went so far as to wear the hat to bed.

"There's this bombass party happening tonight." She giggled, her light brown ponytail dancing behind her as she walked next to him. "You have to come. Jordan and Tom are gonna be there."

That was what he needed. Another excuse to get drunk. An excuse to fuck some random guy who was willing to let him. This time he knew that he could get drunk. There wasn't anything stopping him. With a content look on his face, Eden nodded. "Sounds good."

"Great." Mia replied, starting to skip a bit as she walked. "Need a ride?"

Eden bit the inside of his cheek, thinking about his answer throughly. When he decided that he had nothing to lose, he took her up on her offer. "Yeah, I'll text you my address."

"Sounds good." Mia beamed. The pair entered the classroom at the same time that the bell rang, Mia giggling triumphantly.

Eden went to the back of the room, sitting in an open seat and spacing out. His grades were absolute shit, but he couldn't be bothered to care. He didn't really want to go to collage, and he didn't really care what he did with his life. The only reason he went to school was because it was a nice distraction. There was a time in his life where he would skip too much for his own good. It never accomplished anything but making him feel more miserable than he already was.

Sun poured through the wall of windows, reflecting off of students' hair, and beaming like a proud child. The marker in the teacher's hand squeaked when pressed too hard to the whiteboard. Students fidgeted. Legs bounced up and down, pens clicked, pencil scarped against paper. All were signs of life.

Eden wasn't doing any of that. He was staring blankly forward, his palm keeping his head from collapsing against the hardwood of his desk. He appeared like a statue; the splitting image of stillness. The only movement that met the naked eye, was when he had to blink. Even his breathing was invisible, as though he didn't even have to. What people couldn't see, was how fast his mind was moving. It never seemed to sit still anymore.

While Eden was thinking about everything in the back of the classroom, Fay was thinking about what to wear to the party tonight. As soon as Eisley had found out about there being a party, she informed Cal and Fay.

Fay mentally went through his wardrobe, figuratively discarding things that he knew he shouldn't wear. Then he remembered that shirt that Eisley had forced him to buy a few weeks ago. He figuratively set it into the reminders section of his brain. After he figured out what shirt, he moved onto the rest of his outfit.

By the time the bell rung, he had decided everything that he would need for the party. He met up with Cal on his way to his next class, snorting when he saw the excited look on his friend's face.

"What is it?" Fay asked, looping an arm through Cal's. They walked side by side.

"Honestly just excited to get drunk." Cal admitted, shrugging. "My mom is always telling me to get out more."