quinze

Quinze - Fifteen

Rory sighed to himself, watching as all of the other football players walked away. It annoyed him that they were so caught up in their own shit. It seemed that whenever he mentioned anything other than something that seemed mainstream at the time, they almost got disgusted by it.

All he had brought up was the play that was going to be performed in a few weeks, wondering if anyone had plans to go. Everyone quickly dismissed his attempt at a conversation and switched it to some drama that happened with the cheerleaders. Rory knew a bit about it, but he wasn't good at remembering those things, because he hadn't been bothering to care.

Out of boredom by the current conversation, Rory found himself surveying the lunchroom for a particular someone. The boy was sat by his usual friends, a smile on his face as he listened to whatever Mia was saying. Just looking at him made Rory's heartbeat speed up.

Then he suddenly felt sad. His crush was something that he was never going to be able to act upon. It was just a pipe dream that would one day disappear, or at least be suppressed even further until it was a distant memory. But for the time being, Rory didn't see the harm in just looking.

As he was so deep in thought, staring at Jordan because he simply couldn't find it in himself to look away, someone walked right in front of his line of sight. That someone was a boy he knew fairly well with the name of Fay.

Those two weren't exactly friends, but Fay was impossible not to know. Especially when he was amongst the popular crowd. Since Rory was on the football team, it wasn't shocking that he had his fair share of conversations with Fay. He was also a bit jealous of him.

The boy was so uncaring about expressing himself that it annoyed Rory. He wished that he was able to show people that he wasn't the perfect straight boy that everyone wanted him to be. Fay was wearing a white blouse with cuffed jeans and daisy barrettes in his hair. Though Rory didn't really have any interest in wearing things like that, it still bothered him that Fay was able to be so open when he couldn't even admit to his own sexuality out loud for fear of what may happen.

As Rory continued to stare, Fay continued to walk out of the cafeteria. He was completely unaware of the eyes on him, in deep thought about all sorts of things. The essay due next hour that he wasn't sure was good enough, whether or not his shirt was as wrinkled as he thought it was, or how his face looked. Then there was also the more important list of things.

Like how Char was currently doing, the upcoming play, or how much Maman was overworking herself. He wanted to calm himself down and stop stressing over pointless things, but it seemed impossible. It felt like he couldn't do anything for Charlot no matter how hard he tried, and Maman was her own grown person. Then when he added worrying about a  high school performance of Romeo and Juliet to the list, he felt that his problems were meaningless.

People had so many more pressing concerns, and yet that was the worst that he could think of. Fay forced himself to quit the constant worrying, and instead focused on what was ahead of him.

The hallway was pretty quiet since most people were in the lunchroom. There were motivational quotes strung up along the walls, and though they were meant to have some sort of purpose, there was no real weight behind the words. Instead of properly reenforcing motivation, the school - like many others - opted for colorful and lackluster card-stock paper taped to otherwise empty walls.

Fay turned into the bathroom, expecting to see the usual group of teens that occupied it during this hour. Typically what people labeled as the stoners would be sat in the bathroom, taking edibles to see who could get higher. It was rare to see them elsewhere, but Fay wasn't upset that they weren't there.