épilogue

Épilogue - Epilogue

The heavy red proscenium curtains were slowly being drawn, revealing faces of peers in costumes, all stood on the tall stage. Music was floating out of invisible speakers, a girl that Eden didn't recognize was stood in the center of the stage.

The enter audience went silent as she began a mix of talking and singing, pacing around as scripted. She seemed to just be introducing all of the characters, using witty commentary and obscene language. Eden couldn't really find it in him to care about any of it.

With his head resting on his palm, watching the introduction, he fought off the overwhelming urge to sleep.

The audience was full of mostly unfamiliar faces all sitting to watch the show. But there were a few recognizable ones. There was Mia sat to his right - beyond that was Tom, Jordan, and Rory. To his left was Destiny and her boyfriend Will. Across the room and in the front row was Cal's oddly large family, along with Eisley and her brother. Towards the center was where Fay's family sat.

Everyone was watching the stage, studying the students as they recited words that they spent the past few months memorizing. Some were invested, others were as disinterested as Eden. However, it took only two musical numbers for Eden's interest to peak.

Because that was when a particular someone entered the scene - and with a fight, nonetheless. It was extremely captivating to watch how immaculately the entirety of it was pulled off. The fact that it seemed that his movements were actually being portrayed in slow motion was mesmerizing.

Pretending to be hitting another boy, Fay stood on the stage with the spotlight pointed down on him as the girl sung about how attractive he was. Eden couldn't agree more. Wearing a leather jacket with those tight jeans and that fluffy hair, he was breathless just by the sight of it.

It was the first week of June, about five months having passed. School had officially ended yesterday, but for the seniors, it had ended about a week prior. However, since the play consisted of a freshman to senior cast, they waited to perform it until then. And wow, Eden was suddenly ten times more invested.

The play was called Heathers, and when Fay was trying to explain the plot, he said that he had dressed as one of the characters during Halloween. Watching it now, Eden could clearly see which one he was talking about. She was definitely a mimic bitch, but he could easily see why Fay chose her.

However, that was obviously not who he was acting as then. According to Fay's description, he was playing a psychotic boy with a tragic backstory and when he said those words, he made sure to feign a swoon.

"I'm a psychotic boy with a tragic backstory." Eden had replied. They had both been sat on Fay's bed, in between episodes of a show that they decided to binge.

Fay looked up with a warm smile that melted Eden's heart. But they did not kiss. They only gazed. "Tragic, yes. Psychotic, no." Then he feigned yet another swoon.

"You don't know what I hear in my head." Eden meant it as a joke, but it was painfully true. Even after months of therapy and medications, some days Piper's voice was in his. Some days she was wearing his skin. "I could be completely insane."

"Oh, yeah? Tell me, what does the infamous Eden Ramsey hear in his head?" Fay used an elaborate voice, still sticking with the light atmosphere. But Eden knew that he truly did want to know.

"The voices of the deceased." He shrugged, laying back on the bed and staring up at Fay's fairy lights. "Sometimes I hear them when I talk. Or in other people's voices. But only on the dark days."