Chapter 44

" You're a very difficult person to track, Delilah." Peter situates himself in a seat aside the young girl, at the cafe they first met.

" Clearly not difficult enough." She sighs, refusing to make eye contact. They both sit parallel towards eachother, looking forward at the collection of framed newspapers and antiques.

" They need help."

" Then why are you here in a coffee shop miles and miles away from whatever hole they dug themselves in this time?" He could almost hear her eye roll through her statement, yet doesn't look to confirm it.

" They're supposed to have the best caramel lattes in town." Peter shrugs.

She chuckles, and shakes her head.

" I'm just a neighborhood Spider-Man. And you know that. I'm not the hero that they need. You are." Before Delilah can protest, he continues.

" You are a fourth of their age, and know more then all of them combined. If you won't help save the world for them, then save the world for the world." Peter explains, with a confident tone he can usually only tap into when under a certain red and blue mask.

"Don't let their ignorance stop you from pursuing your potential. Because you know it's there, waiting to be used." She takes a while to respond.

" What an incredible performance."

" Huh?"

" Have you ever thought about going into motivational speaking?"

" Delilah."

" If I do say so myself, you'd be a shoe in for-"

" Enough." Peter puts his hand over hers, making her stay silent for the first time during the encounter. Her smirk falters. She flicks her eyes from Peter's to their clasped hands.

"I don't care what Tony says, or the team, or SHIELD, or anyone else, you're an Avenger. And the world needs the Avengers . They need you." He quiets down, when a waiter slides his drink over the counter. Peter gives him a tight smile and clasps his latte.

" Take that to go."