2

cora's pov

we got to the party late with topper and sarah and i just goofed off. we had always been very adventurous and decided to climb this tower.

"you guys get down come on sarah you know your dad will kill me." topper said and we just laughed.

john b's pov

"wow the pogue queen is here." kie said coming up to me as i stared at sarah and whoever the other girl was.

i'll admit she was pretty, but a kook by association. i fucking hate them. there kind are so rude and hateful and they do anything to make us look bad.

"dude i never even realized how hot cora is holy shit." jj said coming up to me drunk.

"who the hell is cora?" i asked him.
i had a lot on my mind of what we had found at the motel. a ton of cash and a gun. like what the fuck was a gun doing in the safe?

"the summer kook princess i've heard people like her more than sarah. i mack on her alright."

"no you won't. she's a kook."

"dude she doesn't even live here the whole year who cares?" he said walking off.

i looked back over to them and turned when i saw cora look at me.

cora's pov

as the party went on everyone got drunk and was dancing around. i don't drink, but i was have fun dancing with sarah and some random guy i don't even know. we were about to call it a night when this guy came up to us.

"hey sarah you want this drink?" he asked he was cute.

"no thanks."

"what about you cora i'm jj by the way."

"oh i'm cora it's nice to meet you." i said holding out my hand and topper slapped it away.

"i'm sorry i would drink it but i don't drink alcohol thanks for the offer though." i said smiling.

"come on sarah i promise i didn't do anything to it."

"i'll drink it." topper said.

"i didn't fucking ask you i asked sarah and cora maybe if you say pretty please."

"pretty please." topper mocked knocking the drink out of his hand. i pulled topper back and scolded him for it.

he didn't listen. he said something else then john b stepped in to keep them from fighting. sarah and i looked at each other worriedly. the topper lunged at john b and punched him.

i tried to push topper away from him and then topper pushed me away knocking me on the ground. sarah was yelling at them to stop then john punched him in the face getting a few shots in and yelling.

i tried again to stop them and it was right when topper swung at him. i was in the wrong place and the wrong time and he punched me. right in the face and i could feel my nose bleeding as i grabbed it.

"topper stop." sarah cried out and i couldn't see much except him on top of john b trying to drown him when i heard someone yell gun.

jj had pulled at a gun and the let john b go. i went and tried to help him up and we both passed out. i woke up at the doctors with 2 black eyes and a bandage on my nose.

topper had broken it when he punched me. i wish i could say that's the first time anything like that had happened but it wasn't. my dad would get really abusive sometimes and i'd face the wrath.

"i am so sorry cora i really didn't mean to hit you." topper said. i knew he felt bad and i really think deep down he's a good guy that hangs with the wrong people.

"yeah i'm sure. you shouldn't have gone after him like that he did nothing to you." i said and walked out. sarah took us back home and we decide to sleep in the boat because it had air conditioning.

at around 5 am the next morning i heard a loud noise. sarah and i both sat up. we saw john b carrying the oxygen tanks in, but they were both empty.

"are you stealing from us?" sarah asked him.

"no i couldn't fill them up because the power was out."

"yeah i'm sure."

"look i just needed them for a bit okay i promise i'll pay you back it wasn't even $2 worth of air."

"just give him a break sarah he's been through enough already." i said and he looked at me and was shocked.

"look please just don't tell your dad he'll fire me." he said.

"i won't i promise." she said then he looked at me.

"i'm not going to either your secrets safe with me."

"thank you guys so much and cora thanks for trying to help me last night." he said looking at me for a bit and smiling.

i smiled back, "no problem now i look more tuff." i said and we all laughed.

"i'm gonna go now." he said waking out

we got up and went inside. i was getting my nose fixed today and sarah was going out with topper. she offered to break up with him for me, but i didn't want her to.

i knew she liked him and they were going to a party later. i don't want to ruin her life with my problems.

"i think we may have sex tonight." she said excitedly and picked out her bathing suit.