14

coras pov

after continuing to knock on the door i finally gave up. i was stuck in here and no one was going to help me. i went to the air vent where wheezies room was under mine.

"wheezie?" i asked.

"cora what happened?"

"i can't tell you just yet, but i need you to get sarah and y'all sneak in my room."

"okay."

after about 5 minutes i heard my door open. i ran over to the girls and hugged them crying. i told them to just trust me and i told them to cover for me.

it was late at night and i got on a bike riding through town. everyone was looking for john b. i heard people shouting that he went one way and i saw a ton of cops.

they went towards toppers house and i rode by hearing people yelling.
"he's in the laundry room!" i heard shouts.

i saw someone crouched by a car and immediately noticed it was john b. he threw something one way then ran the opposite way into the woods.

all the cops and people ran one way and i rode the other way through the woods catching up to him. he ran into this old church and i dropped my bike following him.

i climbed up this ladder and there was a trap door at the top. i opened it up and slowly climbed in turning to see john b. i broke down and ran to him hugging him.

"i'm so sorry i tried to help, but ward locked me up."

"no it's not your fault."

"i'm never leaving you again. i love you."

"i love you too." he said and we kissed.

the door started opening and we looked at each other scared. topper walked in and i was immediately worried.

"please topper don't tell anyone."

"why are you here cora? go back home." he said walking towards us.

"no. i'm not leaving him please topper don't tell."

"you killed someone."

"no he didn't. rafe did john didn't do anything."

topper ran over and rang the bell of the old church. he yelled out the window and john attacked him. i broke them up and we all yelled at each other.

i looked out the window and we notice the cops had showed up as well as rafe. we finally all calmed down and got him to believe what happened. he put on john b's jacket and we went down stairs.

a fire broke out and we all started to get scared and john grabbed my hand. we went to the back exit and before we left i looked to topper.

"thank you." i said as we ran out the back.

"i know where we can go." i said pulling him.

when ended up at one of the houses that was for sale. we walked up the stairs and sat in a room by the window. we looked out and saw the cops driving around and we ducked.

we just sat hugging and talking to each other. it was getting late at night and we started to drift off. we fell asleep together and i woke up before him.

i decided i had to do something. he had a bounty on him and i couldn't let my 'family' get away with that. i wrote him a note saying i was going to fix things and to not leave.

i labeled that it was from val and i left the house. i went to where the police were i walked to this tent. i looked at the officers and broke down.

"please i need to talk to y'all." i said and no one listens to me.

"GUYS PLEASE LISTEN!" i yelled at them.

they all stopped and looked up to me. i then see my father and ward together. i froze as they walked over to me acting upset at the sight of me.

"we missed you cora where'd you go?"

"no get away from me. please listen guys rafe killed detective susan. not john b." i said crying.

the detective looked at me shocked. they held me back and ward and my father looked over to the cops and agents.

"she's recently been diagnosed with depression and bipolar disorder that why we send her here in the summer it's time for her to go home now." they said leaving the tent.

"no they're lying. they did it not john b please believe me." i said crying as someone held me back.

i struggled in his grip for a while before kicking him in the balls and running off. i walked back to the house and was crying.

i stopped and saw sarah and wheezie. i hugged them crying telling them everything that happened. they came to a secret spot we always went to and we talked for a minute.

"guys i have to go soon and i love y'all. i promise i'll see you again when this all blows over but you have to know that john b didn't kill susan."

"we believe you cora." wheezie said crying and we all hugged.

"i have to go now." i said and sarah handed me money.

"be safe cora."

"i'll be so safe." i tried to joke but could barely.

we smiled and group hugged one more time and i ran off. i got back to the house and walked in. i slowly walked up the stairs seeing john b half way up.

"what's wrong c?"

i just cried and he pulled me to him hugging me. i looked at him and sat on the stairs.

"i'm sorry john they didn't believe me." i said and he kissed my head.

"it's okay c the truth will come out. i'm gonna leave and i'll come back in a few months."

"let me come with you."

"no."

"please i have nothing to live for without you." i said crying.

"okay but cora you have everything to live for without me."

"i really don't john b. my family hates me except for sarah and wheezie." i said as we stood up.

we saw cop cars starting to pull up and we ran out the back.