Chapter 14 - Tony Listens to a Story

Percy and Annabeth were both smiling like idiots when they finally got home.

"We're having another kid," Percy repeated to himself for the thirteenth time that day, Annabeth grinned.

"Who's having a what now?" Came Frank's voice from inside their apartment.

Frank had been living with them for almost a week and Annabeth had gotten used to him. It turns out that Frank was a great guest, he always cleaned up the dishes in the sink (even though Annabeth had told him MANY times to not worry about it) and he played with Luke when Annabeth and Percy were busy.

Percy silently asked Annabeth if he could tell Frank and Annabeth nodded. Percy grinned like a madman.

"Annabeth is pregnant," Percy said, Frank jumped up from his seat and gave both of them his signature bear hug, Annabeth laughed and hugged him back.

"How long have you known?" He asked,

"I only just found out today, Will had to heal me and then gave me the news when he was doing his healer thing," Percy was still smiling like crazy.

Annabeth was happy, she always knew that she wanted a big family and she was sure that she could look after another child.

What scared her was the fact that she wouldn't be able to hide this from the Avengers, Annabeth knew that she couldn't do as many physically demanding missions now that she had a baby to worry about.

She wanted to wait a little bit before she told the team, she would come up with other excuses when it came to her ability to do certain things, tell them that she just didn't feel like drinking or eating certain things, but she knew she would have to tell them sooner or later.

Even though she hadn't been truthful to the Avengers that didn't mean that she didn't care about them, they were her team and she would always look out for them and care for them.

Annabeth felt bad for lying to them, Bruce looked so hurt once she explained everything, but there was no way in Tartarus she would let her family become part of her dangerous work.

Annabeth got up early the next morning, boiling herself a cup of tea and putting some bread in the toaster.

Annabeth felt strong arms wrap around her torso as she poured the water into her cup, Percy's stubble scratching her cheek.

"Morning Wise Girl," he mumbled, kiss her cheek lightly as he let her go and poured himself some coffee.

"I have a meeting with some executives today, I kind of still work for Tony and he likes me to intimidate people," Percy laughed while he blew into the steaming cup in his hand.

"Natasha is very intimidating but I prefer Annabeth," Percy leaned in and gave her a proper kiss, Annabeth set her tea on the kitchen counter and sighed into his mouth.

Annabeth missed having mornings like this, life seemed to move so fast all the time but Percy was able to slow her down.

"Mommy, Daddy, you're gross!" a little voice screamed just as Percy deepened the kiss.

Annabeth pulled away and smiled at Luke.

"You think that's gross? I'll show you gross," Annabeth said as she picked up Luke, kissing his little face all over.

"Mommy! Stop!" Luke was giggling and squealing, trying to get out of Annabeth's grasp.

"But I love you!" Annabeth said as she continued to kiss the still laughing Luke.

Eventually, Annabeth put Luke down, the toddler now out of breath and smiling.

"I have to go now, little clownfish, Daddy's going to take you to daycare and Mommy will pick you up," Annabeth smiled as Luke.

"Ok, can I bring over a friend? His name is Jake and he's really cool, he said he wants to be my friend," Luke was a little red in the face and Annabeth could tell that it wasn't from laughing.

"Sure, Daddy will have to talk with Jake's parents but if they say yes it shouldn't be a problem," Percy was giving Annabeth a knowing smile as Luke jumped up and down with excitement.

"So, tell me about Jake," Annabeth heard Percy saying as she walked out, her technology on her face and a black dress on.

Annabeth usually wore her leather outfit when she was meeting with the Avengers but she wore more professional clothing when she had to act like 'Tony Stark's assistant'.

Once she arrived at the tower she took the lift to the Avenger's area knowing Tony would probably be there.

"Hello, Blondie," came Tony's voice as she entered his lab, Annabeth rolled her eyes.

"Tony, you can address me however you want when there's no one else around but if you value your life in any form, don't tell anyone else about my true identity," Tony grumbled and continued working on his suit.

"Is Pepper dealing with this meeting or do I actually have to go?" he asked as Annabeth sat on a chair and pulled out her phone.

"Pepper will be there but I think it's something you will want to hear, it has to do with our recent New York battle," she explained, Tony raised his eyebrow.

"Why are we talking about that? We saved the city," Tony wasn't looking at Natasha but he could almost hear her eyes rolling.

"We also destroyed most of the city during the attack, and yes you paid for it, but that doesn't mean people aren't upset," Tony was grumbling under his breath as he finally set down his tools and turned to face Annabeth.

"Fine, I'll go, but don't expect me to actually care," Tony said as he walked out of the room, Annabeth scoffing.

"You should care a little, people died in the attack, I just glad I got my family out before it started," Annabeth's eyes looked far away, remembering how worried she had been.

She had gotten Percy to take Luke, Nico, Will, Piper, and Jason to safety but Luke's screams as she ran back into the chaos would be in her mind forever.

Knowing that she might not get to see him again was the hardest part of her job, but she knew that she had things to offer the world, people to save, and fights to win.

Her life was insignificant compared to the people she could save but she would never stop fighting to make it home to Luke and Percy.

"You don't know what true sadness is until you run back into a fight after you've passed your son to your husband, telling them to get as far away as possible from the attack, only to hear his screaming as they ran away," Tony finally looked at Natasha, terrified to find a single tear streaming down her face.