Chapter 27 - Steve likes Stories

Going back to San Francisco was hard for all of the demigods, especially Jason, who had grown up there.

"It's almost like nothing has changed on the outside," he muttered as they rode to the hotel Tony had booked for them.

"It's hard going back to places you never thought you'd see again," Steve said, making eye contact with Jason.

"Ok, pretty blonde boys, we're here," Tony announced as they pulled up to the hotel.

Annabeth didn't want to stay long, only because she needed to go and see Camp Jupiter for herself.

Camp Half-Blood had been almost completely destroyed, by what they now knew to be Perses, and none of them had wanted to face the damage Camp Jupiter had undergone.

Finding the entrance to Camp Jupiter with four mortals wasn't easy, but Jason knew this place like the back of his hand.

"Before all of this happened, we would have centurions guarding all the entrances, so it was a little easier to find the entrances when you could see two people in full legionnaire armor," Jason kept up a quiet commentary as they walked towards the place Annabeth used to consider a second home.

When they came across the entrance, all of them remained silent.

Tony, Bruce, Steve, and Clint could tell that the demigods and Rachel didn't feel like talking as their eyes took in the tunnel that looked like it had barely been touched.

Without a word from anyone, they made their way inside, following the tunnel to what would hopefully be an abandoned city.

If there was anyone there, Annabeth wouldn't know what to do.

Finally seeing the Little Tiber was strange.

The river was still moving, still full of water, but it was eerily silent.

Percy frowned and walked closer, putting a hand in the wanter and letting the current wash over his hand.

"The Little Tiber is usually kept up by maintenance, right?" Percy asked Jason, who nodded. This made Percy's eyebrow's furrow, "It's as clean as the day I first came here, someone's been looking after it,"

"If HYDRA has been using this place, why would they keep the river clean?" Nico asked, but he was met with silence.

No one knew the answer.

"We should split up, we can cover the camp faster that way," Percy proposed, "One mortal to one demigod, which leaves Annabeth and I to go together,"

"Sounds like a plan," Tony sighed, setting down the briefcase he had been carrying and stepping into the Iron Man suit which came out of it, "Grace, you're with me, you seem to know the place best,"

Jason sighed a little but nodded, rising into the air and quickly flying across the water.

"Do we have to swim through?" Steve asked, looking at Jason who was landing out on the other side like nothing had happened.

"You have to swim through," Nico corrected, grabbing Will and shadow traveling to the other side of the river.

Piper looked at all of them like they were being dramatic and slid into the water, hissing a little at how cold it was.

Frank, Rachel, Steve, Bruce, Clint, Annabeth, and Percy followed her lead, though Percy wasn't struggling or getting wet in any way.

As they all got out, Percy dried them off with a flick of his wrist, making Bruce stare at him in disbelief.

"It's hard for me to remember that you're not just a Marine Biologist," he muttered, feeling his newly dried sleeves.

Percy grinned, "Sometimes I wish that was all I was,"

"Ok, Will and Steve together, Jason is with Tony already, Bruce and Frank, Rachel and Nico, and Clint and Piper. Annabeth and I will check the residential areas, you guys can look around the barracks and arenas," Percy said with the authority of someone who had commanded many troops in his life.

Will gave Nico a soft kiss as he joined Steve who was looking a little apprehensive about the whole idea.

As they all separated, Will found himself in an uncomfortable silence with Steve, who looked like he would rather be doing this alone.

"You loved him, didn't you?" Will asked as they come across some barracks.

Steve tensed once he comprehended Will's words, refusing to look at the other man.

"I never stopped," he said after a silence that seemed to stretch on for minutes, "I've loved him since 1927, and I never stopped,"

"I can understand that," Will said, looking around the empty training arena, "I was in love with Nico long before we got together. I just remember seeing this pretty and excited Italian boy going on and on about his trading cards," Will laughed to himself.

Looking over at Steve, Will could see that the other man looked lost in his head, a hurt expression on his face.

"I'm sorry, you probably don't want to hear about me and Nico when you're mourning your-"

"No," Steve interrupted, making Will look up to see the other man blushing slightly, "I think I need to hear happy things right now, do you have any more stories?"

Will beamed.

"The story about how we got together is pretty hilarious, actually," he said, "We had been eating at the dining hall and Jason and Percy both came up to annoy Nico, as they do. Nico had previously told Percy that Percy wasn't his 'type' and it's been a bit of a running joke since then. So Percy comes up and asks Nico 'What is it about me that isn't your type?',

"Nico had been having a rough day, training the younger campers, and just said: 'Percy, nothing could ever make you my type, even if you dyed your hair blonde and got claimed by Apollo',"

Steve found himself laughing at that, and he was quickly joined by Will.

"Of course, I was the only child of Apollo that Nico was really close to, which made everyone stare at me. Percy and Jason pushed us into each other later that evening and we've been together ever since,"

"That's a very nice story," Steve said, wiping his eyes and smiling at Will.

"I'm glad I could be of service, Captain" Will mock saluted, which made Steve glare at him playfully.

Silence enveloped them once more, but it was more comfortable this time.

That was, until they heard Annabeth's scream.