Chapter 17 - Let's Talk About Luke

"Ok, so two monsters - that you've never been able to identify - killed everyone in your camps a few years ago. Also, one of your friends who 'died' in this attack just came back after being a cat for years?" Bruce was rubbing his forehead.

"Yup, that's the short version," Piper said, grabbing the coffee out of Tony's hand and taking a sip.

"Hey, beauty queen, that's mine," Tony said, he was about to grab the coffee back from her before Piper dropped it, the mug shattering.

"Leo," Piper whispered, her eyes far away, Annabeth immediately wrapped her arms around her friend.

"It's ok, he's in Elysium, he was so brave," Piper let out a broken sob and clung to Annabeth tightly.

"Did I do something?" Tony asked, confused at this sudden change in behavior,

"My best friend, Leo, always called me 'beauty queen', I just miss him," Piper wiped at her eyes, obviously a little shaken.

Tony stood still, "I'm sorry," he said, his voice void of any sarcasm, "I didn't know," Annabeth smiled at him.

"It's ok, Tony, we all have issues, you didn't mean any harm," Piper nodded at Annabeth's words, obviously not angry at him.

"Ok," Clint said after a moment of silence, "I don't want to get your hopes up, but based on what has been happening lately and everything you friend told you, there is a chance that your friends aren't dead,"

Annabeth whipped her head around to look at Clint, eyes icy and calculating, "What do you mean?"

Clint looked scared of Annabeth but kept talking, "Well, your friend said that he never actually saw anyone die, right? Just a lot of screaming, there could be a chance that your friends aren't dead,"

Annabeth sat down on a chair, shock on her face.

"Again, I don't want to get your hopes up, it's only a possibility," Clint said, looking like he regretted saying anything.

"We need the boys," Piper said,

"No, who will look after Luke,"

"They deserve the right to know, even if they can't help us," Piper tried her hardest to not use her charm speak, she wanted Annabeth's true opinion on this.

Annabeth sat silently, obviously deep in thought.

"Ok," she whispered, Piper's head turned around so fast she must have hurt her neck,

"Ok? Ok as in we can call them?" Piper asked, sounding like she was walking on eggshells.

"Yes, call them all, even Frank," Piper whipped out her phone and started dialing numbers, talking fast.

"Jason? Yeah, we need you to come to Annabeth's work, I don't care if you're in the middle of teaching, tell them you're sick or something- LEO MIGHT BE ALIVE!" Piper yelled, breathing heavily.

"Ok, pick up the rest, don't forget Frank, and-" Piper looked at Annabeth, breathing deep, "bring Luke-"

"No!" Annabeth yelled, reaching for the phone,

"Annabeth, listen to me, we can protect him, you're friends with a billionaire for Hades sake, if he's going to attract monsters without you and Percy to protect him," Annabeth sighed and thought it over.

"I can fly out the best babysitter in the world, is that what you need? It looks like that's what you need, JARVIS, find the best babysitter money can buy," Tony said, grabbing a mug and filling it with coffee after Piper had broken his.

"Fine," Annabeth sounded tired and stressed, "they can pick up Luke, but he stays in the tower at all times,"

Piper nodded and repeated what Annabeth had said into the phone to Jason.

"They'll be here in half an hour," Piper said, giving Annabeth a soft smile.

There was silence before Annabeth spoke, "I'm going to have to explain to my son that I risk my life for a living," Annabeth sounded almost hysterical, clutching to her sides.

Piper dropped in front of Annabeth's chair, grabbing her friend's hands.

"Annabeth, listen to me, you are the best mother I've ever met, you didn't have a present mother and yet you still managed to raise that angel of a boy, unless he doesn't get his chocolate, then he's a little hellhound," Piper said, making Annabeth giggle.

"Sir, would you still like me to fly out that babysitter?" came JARVIS's voice, neutral as always.

"Yes, thanks, J," Tony didn't take his eyes off of Annabeth and Piper who were both talking to each other in quiet voices.

"What's Luke like?" Steve asked,

Annabeth's face broke out in an easy smile, "He's four years old, and he has all of my brains and all of his father's sass," Piper snorted,

"That's an understatement, once I asked for his opinion of my outfit as a joke and he said 'Aunt Piper, I don't know who told you that orange was your color, but they aren't your friend,' How is a four-year-old able to articulate that!"

The room broke out into laughter, the mood lightening slightly.

Annabeth and Piper spent the next twenty-five minutes telling funny stories about their lives until the elevator bell rang, causing all conversation to stop instantly.