He Deserved Better

"You said 'us'."

And in that moment I knew words were magic."

-K. Towne Jr.

-----

That morning I'd snuck out early, literally choosing to take the screws out of the window above my bed and jump out of it rather than have to face whatever awaited me in my own living room. 

John B had picked me and JJ up in his raggedy old van and we were on our way to Ms Lana's to humor John B in his conviction that she would know something that would help him in his quest to find his father.

"Im just sayin, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara. She clearly likes you." JJ was going on excitedly, John B shaking his head from next to him in the drivers seat. JJ threw his head back dramatically, "she's all like, oooh John B!"

"Is that what she does?" John B asked sarcastically, making a face at JJ as if the idea was ridiculous.

I just watched on, amused at the two squabbling. I was quite comfortable taking up both the backseats, legs crossed up against the window behind JJ's head. 

"She's sketching about you diving and then she kissed you bro!"

"She kissed me... on the cheek. It's not like we were making out or something", John B reasoned.

"Low-hanging fruit bro. Don't pretend that you don't notice, I see it in your eyes" JJ gestured at his own eyes, excitedly looking at his friend. "You're like, I kinda like that! And then, you start blushing or something."

"I blush." John B deadpanned.

"Yeah!", JJ looked back at me for confirmation.

I shrugged, not wanting to get involved. I'd seen the small moments John B and Kiara shared, it was true. But we had a "no pogue on pogue macking" rule we'd made when we were younger to keep our friendship intact and avoid complicated situations.

It made sense, and although I wouldn't stand in Kiara and John Bs way if they wanted to get together, I wouldn't encourage it either. 

--

The three of us got out of the van when we'd finally arrived at our destination.

"Know what this house looks like?" JJ commented, "Whoever lives here smokes too much weed", he laughed and looked back at me and John B who were not far behind him.

I laughed. It was true, the house was painted pink with an assortment of peace signs and random multicolored drawings all over it.Despite its bright childlike colors the house looked like it was falling apart as the paint was peeling off or was completely missing in several areas.  The yard was beautiful though, and I admired the lush greenery before us as the three of us walked up to the porch.

Suddenly we heard a crashing noise, followed by the sound of glass breaking. We all paused, and sent each other worried glances, not sure what to make of it.

Wondering what the noises coming from Ms Lana's house were, John B took the lead, advancing more cautiously now. He turned back to me, making a silent shushing motion with his hand as I followed close behind him. JJ looked back at the van longingly before hesitantly following as well, his brows knitted together.

"Bullshit!" we heard a man scream from inside the house.

JJ looked really concerned, "Maybe we should come back", he looked a little panicky. "Its a little too soon", he tried to reason with John B, who was still moving towards the door, wanting to investigate. "No. Shut up, JJ".