The Red Dress

"I just

for once

want to be the guy who walks in with the girl in the red dress".

---

"This is disgusting

"This is disgusting." Kie stared at herself in the full length mirror critically. Her mother had clothed her in a shimmery lavender gown for tonight's special occasion.

"I know its just horrible, I'm asking you to relax and go to a fun party!" her mom sassed, looking at me as if I'd agree with her and help her talk some sense into her tomboy daughter. 

When I just stared back at her blankly she huffed and crossed her arms.

"Mom! People not 3 miles from here have no power, no running water, and we're going to Midsummers." Kie desperately tried to make her mother understand. "Thats so tone-deaf." 

I raised my hand halfheartedly, twirling around lazily in the swivel chair beside Kie. "I'm people."

Her mother completely ignored me, going back to the mirror to put in her large dangly earrings. "Kiara I thought we'd agreed that if your friend comes with you you wouldn't complain and you would just do this for me. Do you know how hard we had to work to get into the Island Club?"

Kiara just groaned in defeat, knowing she didn't have a choice.

Her mom turned to look at me pointedly. "Now you, we have to do something about you".

Soon she was all over me, applying makeup and doing things to my hair.

Knowing full well she only cared that I look acceptable enough to be seen with them, I felt giddy nonetheless.

It was like getting to play dress up in a princess's closet.

---

After spending way too much time trying on all of Kiara's dresses, I'd found one deep in her closet that had become mine in a surprising flash of inspiration.