Expensive Wine and Priceless Friends

"Sometimes, I remember you.

Even though I haven't met you yet"

-me

---

I was so confused.

That was the only thing I knew for sure.

I'd been avoiding whatever this weird feeling I had around JJ was but it had gotten harder and harder to do so the more time went on. I'd had a crush on him when we were younger but the two of us always had a special understanding that no one else in the group had, a special friendship, and I'd never wanted to ruin that. 

So I'd pushed it deep down to that part of your mind that you don't even try to deal with.

Besides, I'd never thought there was even a chance he'd like me back. JJ was a player, flirting with anything that moved and bringing home different girls back to the Chateau after every party. He always lusted after Kiara, and girls like Sarah. 

The beautiful, unatainnable kook girls. The perfect girls. 

Not girls like me who wore ratty hand-me-downs and who were just as fucked up as he was.

JJ and I had too much in common. For both of us the pogues weren't just our friends, but rather our family. If anything ever messed up our friendship, I genuinely didn't know what I'd do. If I could cope.

But I could not honestly keep telling myself that I had the same friendship with JJ that I had with say, John B.

I'd noticed the tension between me and the blond boy a few times. That tension that made me think there were feelings being felt and words being left unsaid. But there was never any way to know whether it was just me feeling that or if he felt it too.

But was that... an almost kiss? Again? 

Was that look in his eyes the same drunken look he gave the girls he brought home after keggers?

For the rest of the walk home neither of us made a sound.

But to me, the tension was loud.

---