Midsummer Night Sin

"Sin from thy lips? O trespass sweetly urged!

Give me my sin again."

-Shakespeare, 

Romeo and Juliet

---

I sunk my toes in the sand and looked out at the water

"You beat the shit out of Rafe...". I took a deep breath to calm my beating heart. "Because he... hurt me?"

"Yeah".

My hands went up to my neck, where I could still feel the bruise. Kiara's mom had artfully covered it with makeup, but it was still tender to the touch where Rafe's hand had enveloped my throat. 

But I hadn't told a soul.

"How'd you know?" I whispered.

He let out a deep huff.

"I know you".

He continued slowly. "Plus Rafe was talking shit. God, I wish I had the time to cave his head in, but his friends all came out of nowhere and cornered me".

I didn't respond, trying to keep my facade intact.

His hand touched my shoulder, and I shivered, not looking at him while he continued. "God why didn't you say something? I'll fucking kill him for touching you, I swear he won't ever bother you again Ti, I got you."

"No!"

He looked shocked at my outburst. "What?"

"Thats why I didn't tell you it was Rafe! Don't fight him- ok- I just-"

"He deserves it Ti! God I cant believe-"

"When does it end JJ? They hit us, we hit them, they just hit us back. An eye for an eye, and it never ends. I don't want you to get hurt."

"You don't want me to get hurt? God Ti, I don't want YOU to get hurt. Just the thought of him doing that to you- I don't even know." He clenched his fists angrily. "And that expression's stupid, you're not an eye, you're... you."

I laughed softly. That was such a JJ thing to say.

He looked frustrated, grabbing his hair in his fists. He looked so out of place, in his fancy waiter's outfit. I must have looked out of place too in my dress, barefoot beside him in the sand.

I stared at him, my heart clenching with the feelings that I had to acknowledge I felt for him. 

"What did you want to talk to me about?" I suddenly remembered, changing the subject and looking away again.

He looked up at the sky frustratedly.

"Nothing."

I breathed.