Yucatan

"The doubters are just dreamers

With broken hearts"

--

After our escape from his house this morning, JJ had hurried away to his busboy shift at the country club, muttering frantically something about being late again and getting fired before roaring off on his dirt bike. 

Having a free day, I'd wandered around by myself, not really going anywhere or doing anything in particular. I just walked, letting my thoughts out. That was always how I processed things, how I cleared my head ever since I'd been little. 

Eventually that evening I found myself at Pope's store to see what he was up to since it was close by. Hayward had him out doing some errands, but I'd run into Kiara in the parking lot, who'd just picked up some beers (god knows who she'd bribed into buying them for her underage self). 

I'd hopped in her car, glad to have a ride to John B's house. I'd been walking all day and my feet were starting to hurt.

She was silent in the car for a few minutes, but I stayed oblivious as I turned up the radio, humming along to Suicide Saturday by Hippo Campus, one of my favorite bands. 

"JJ told me what happened" she said softly, looking at me sympathetically. I was wearing a hoodie, so the bruises on my neck were mostly covered, but I hadn't done much to hide them otherwise, hoping it would go unnoticed or that I'd be able to explain it away.

"What?" I feigned.

"With the druggie coming to your house, Athena".

I looked at sideways at her, shrugging. "I'm fine Kie", I snapped. Inwardly I felt like I'd been stabbed in the chest. It wasn't like I'd specifically asked him not to after being interrupted by his dad coming home, but I was hoping JJ wouldn't tell anyone and I couldn't help but feel betrayed.

"Ok", she said softly. I didn't look up. I didn't want to see the pity that would be in her eyes as she stared back at me. "I just want you to know that I'm here for you Ti. You can always come crash at my house if you need to, you know that right?"

"Thanks Kie". Suddenly I felt bad for snapping at her earlier. Even though she would never truly understand, being a kook herself, she meant well. I looked at her, letting a smile grace my lips. "I guess we could have a little sleepover, huh?"

She smiled. "Been a while since we had one of those". I nodded.

We finally arrived at the Chateau, Kie stopping behind a tree to park her shiny kook car. She always parked it in a more covered spot a little farther off so as not to arouse suspicion. "Fuck". she let out, seeing something on her phone. 

"I have to go to the Wreck, I forgot I told my dad I'd help him out tonight, two of the servers called out."

"Oh. I could come with you, I mean, I know your dad doesn't love me but I do have waitressing experience and I don't mind helping out?"