A Safe Kind of Dangerous

"Never let someone go

If they smell like the sun and the moon and the stars all at once"

-me

---

I think it says a lot that the first comfort I sought was the arms of the blond boy next door.

After Rafe's attack I'd basically had a panic attack, crumpling to the ground and feeling like the breaths I was taking just weren't feeding any oxygen to my lungs. I'd sat there, gasping, used to the feeling and slowly but surely talking myself out of what I could only describe as the worst sensation in the world.

And my first thought had been JJ. How I wanted to hug him. Last night I'd felt comfort. I'd felt safe. I'd felt understood. 

And I wanted to feel it again.

So there I was at JJ's door, just as he'd been at my bedroom window the night before. And I was already more okay, just seeing his outline approach the kitchen window through the glass.

He opened the door briskly, looking at me in confusion. I'd never come to his house before, for fear of his father.

"What are you doing here?" he whispered in panic. When his eyes caught mine, he noticed something was wrong right away, even in the dark.

"Hey". He whispered, "What's wrong?"

When I just sniffled, not saying anything, he reached through the doorway to take my hand gently.

"It's not safe here, Ti".

"What, and my house is?" My voice came out soft, hoarse, as if I'd been crying even though I hadn't.

He hesitated, not knowing how to respond.

"Look, JJ I don't care. I don't want to be alone right now", I whispered. "Please" I said, my voice cracking. I cursed myself, wildly uncomfortable with the amount of vulnerability I was putting on display.

He sighed, looking behind him at something, chewing his lip. He turned back around and when he saw my face threw his arms around me to pull me to him in a hug.

I was content just pressing my body to his and finding that my head naturally settled in the crook of his neck as if it was meant to be there.

I was afraid of his father, but in a different way than if JJ wasn't here. Not because he could defend me, but because whatever happened we would be going through it together. As cheesy as it sounded nothing felt that scary if we were together.

You're safe, I thought. No matter how much danger we're in.

He melted into my embrace just as I melted into him, staying there for a moment in each other's warmth.