Cool Down Casanova

"My atoms love your atoms

It's chemistry."

-Atticus

----

"Don't let them get in your head bro, there were two of us and three of them" JJ consoled Pope as he rummaged through the different tic tac flavors at the convenience store, acting like he wasn't satisfied with any of them but actually slipping one in his pocket unnoticed by everyone but me. "That's some typical kook shit".

I winced when he turned and I got a full view of the state of his face yet again. When I'd tried to ice it a few hours earlier he had shimmied away, laughing and saying it was "personally sculpted by the great kook Rafe Cameron himself" and "one shouldn't mess with art".

"Hell yeah" Kie agreed. I nodded, the image of Rafe and Kelce teaming up to beat the shit out of JJ coming to mind. The thought alone felt like a knife twisting around in my gut.

"What was your thought process though?" JJ asked Pope.

"I don't know man I acted off of instinct", Pope replied, almost proud of himself.

"Hey, Pope, someone here to see you" Pope's father butted into our conversation solemnly as he walked in to the store.

To my dismay, Officer Shoupe was following not far behind him.

Oh boy.

"Evening officer" Pope gulped, seeming to already know where this was going.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property".

There was tension in the air, and a chorus of "whoah, wait, what?"s all around. Pope looked at me in fear and I just stared back at him in shock.

He looked at JJ, who just mouthed "deny deny deny" at him, shaking his head darkly.

What had they done?

And how far was this going to go?

"Young lady, out of my way" Shoupe practically shoved me. 

"Wait you can't arrest him what did he do?" I protested.

"Shoupe are you listening to me? You cant just arrest my boy!" Hayward yelled.

But the officer simply pinned Pope's hands into handcuffs, smugly citing him his rights as we all watched on, powerless.

"How much did they pay you man?" JJ asked angrily. I put an arm on his shoulder to calm him down and he looked at me in desperation. Hayward shot him a warning look. There was no point in starting a physical fight with a police officer right now as that wouldn't help Pope.