I Hate That I Don't Hate Him

"Why do you give him a piece of your soul,

But never a piece of your mind?"

-Belle Jar

---

"So you're staying

"So you're staying... where?" Kie asked incredulously, glaring at John B.

"Tannyhill".

"So you're living with Sarah Cameron".

We were all sitting around an empty table at the Wreck, discussing everything that had happened in the past 24 hours. There was a lot to talk about since we'd fled Midsummers, John B had gotten the maps, and then been hospitalized.

"Okay, look. The only reason I'm living there is because her dad bailed me out. And its way better than foster care".

"So do you have a membership to the clubs now?" Pope interrupted, laughing and hitting JJ on the arm as they both gave each other humorous looks . 

I gave a dramatic eye roll. "Guys can we focus on what matters?" They all turned to look at me except for JJ, who fiddled with his fingers and avoided eye contact.

He'd skillfully avoided me since our heated kiss in the junkyard. 

Kiara scoffed, unhappy with John B but handing him his drink anyways. She turned around to angrily throw the now empty serving tray on a nearby counter.

The amount of tension in the room was palpable.

I sighed. It felt like we were unravelling as a group.

"Yeah, last night was crazy" Pope agreed with me, looking at Kiara. "We need a plan".

We finally were able to ignore the tension in the room and put out heads together to actually figure some stuff out.

After examining the maps of Tannyhill Plantation and figuring out that everything except major landmarks had changed over time, we found ourselves driving around trying to find the location of the missing gold.

The car ride had been a bit tense, but we'd managed not to explode into any major arguments. Maybe Kie and John B fighting over Sarah was a blessing, because no one noticed the awkwardness between me and JJ. God, I wonder what they'd say if they knew.

"Alright, this must be it!" I exclaimed, looking at the map and then looking above it at the stone wall.

I was excited but surprised at the uneasy looks I was met with. Pope visibly shivered, giving me a wide eyed look.

"What?"

"Thats the Crain house" he responded.

Oh.

"The Crain house? As in... that... Crain house?"

I turned to look behind Pope at JJ. He shrugged, immediately looking away.