Chapter Two

The gentle knock on my door came too soon. I had only managed to fall asleep a few hours before, because most of my night was spent attempting to fend off nightmares about children dying and parents sobbing. "Avery, Faith, it's time to get dressed" my mother cooed, swinging the door open. Faith groaned and rolled over in bed, while I rubbed the heavy sleep from my eyes. "Do you have our dresses?" I asked expectantly. We wore the same dresses each year; Faith's was mine before I grew too tall for it. 

"They're laid out over there" my mother gestured to Faith's empty bed. "Breakfast will be ready in ten minutes" she spoke as she closed the door softly behind her. I rose from my place in bed and peered out the window. It was not nearly as beautiful as yesterday- clouds covered the sky and the wind was gusting through the street. I was not surprised to see that some families were already making their way to the Square where the reaping was held. Peacekeepers lined the street in rows, their white uniforms standing out in the green scenery. "Happy reaping day" I muttered under my breath as I shut the blinds.

"Faith, let's hurry." I shook my sister awake before smoothing out my burgundy colored dress in front of me. District Seven was one of the Northernmost provinces, meaning the mornings were often chilly. Luckily my dress was cotton with sleeves. I searched for a pair of tall riding boots in our cramped closet and found a pair that were in relatively good condition. "Are you doing anything with your hair?" Faith asked me from across the room where she stood in her white patterned dress. I admired my reflection in our small mirror for a moment before pulling my hair out of it's messy braid. "I'll just leave it like this" I commented, letting my brown locks fall into waves. "No jewelry?" She continued to badger me. "Relax Faith, hand me my gold star choker" I directed her and clasped the necklace around my neck. Done.

Faith looked gorgeous as usual, but I couldn't help but notice how innocent she looked in her white dress and straight brown hair. She was wearing a golden ring on her finger and short boots with a small heel. "You look beautiful Faithy." I smiled at her. She rolled her eyes at me, "you're beginning to sound like mother." I chuckled at her subtle humor, "well I hope I'm not turning into her."

Faith and I made our way into the kitchen where thin pancakes were stacked on the table for us. "You girls look gorgeous" our father commented as we took our places at the wooden table. He kissed us each on the forehead before sitting down himself and digging into the breakfast that sat before us. I never quite understood why mother would make such a large breakfast on the morning of the reaping, usually the butterflies in my stomach blocked my appetite. "Is something wrong with your food dear?" My mother questioned in a concerned tone, "are you feeling alright this morning?" 

"Just tired." I lied. Faith looked at her own plate warily. "Keep eating Faith. You don't want to pass out in the Square!" I offered weakly. It was intended to be a joke, but the atmosphere this morning was tense and nobody seemed to acknowledge my futile attempt to lighten the mood. Instead I scraped my plate in silence, forcing myself to eat at least one pancake before checking the time. "We have around fifteen minutes before we need to check-in" I reminded Faith and my parents. "We should probably get going soon." 

My mother nodded her head and focused on clearing our plates for us. Father scratched his neck. "There is no need to be nervous girls, once this is over we can relax." He smiled bravely. Faith and I grunted our replies and took a final sip of our waters. "Mrs. Hobbs and her daughters are probably on their way if you want to meet up with them!" Mother called from the kitchen. For the past few years we had walked down to the Square with them, mostly because Mr. Hobbs husband is sick and Mrs. Hobbs appreciates the extra support. She has a daughter a year older than me, and a younger daughter, Emma, who is Faith's age. "I don't want to walk with them, can we all just go together?" Faith spoke quietly.