Chapter Six

For the first time since the reaping I was awake before Cecelia's knock on the door. My hair was pulled into a tight ponytail and the outfit Ezra had laid out for me was already on by the time Cecelia called out "Mason! Avery! Breakfast!" I laced up my training boots and left my room feeling well rested; today was a big day. It was the first time I would be in the room with all twenty-four tributes. More importantly it was the first opportunity for the Gamemakers to judge us based on our skills and abilities. 

Jace's talk last night had instilled a sense of purpose within me. Now more than ever I needed to learn how to fight. I needed to figure out how to give myself a chance to win. If I was going to die, I might as well die trying. I subconsciously rubbed one of the stars on my gold choker, thinking about Faith and my parents. I needed to fight for them. I needed to make them proud one last time. Throwing myself off the platform would not make them proud, but winning would. 

"You're the first one up. Someone must be eager to get some training in." Cecelia offered me a smile that appeared to be genuine. "Early bird gets the worm" I responded playfully, helping myself to a bowl of oatmeal topped with peanut butter and banana. Mason was next to the dining room table, filling his cup with coffee and his plate with eggs before mumbling a greeting. We sat in silence until Jace arrived and took his seat next to Cecelia. "Big day today!" Cecelia greeted him. Jace smiled in return and made eye contact with me and Mason.

"Remember what I told both of you" he stared at us. Both Mason and I nodded in return. "Follow the plan and be smart out there." Jace had given advice to Mason and I yesterday pertaining to the training sessions. He instructed us to avoid practicing our best skills and instead focus on survival techniques. We would save our best skills for our private showcase with the Gamemakers.

"Alright! It seems as if we're ready to get our day started. And with only a couple minutes to spare! Everyone on the elevator now." Cecelia ushered us over to the elevator where we rode to the bottom floor. My stomach twisted in anxiety. I was apprehensive about learning new abilities in front of the tributes and Gamemakers. There was a lot riding on this session.

We reached the bottom floor where the training was held. Upon entering I was met with a spacious room filled with all sorts of training areas. Tributes were scattered around, their mentors sharing a final few words of advice with them. I saw the gallery protected by a glass pane where the Gamemakers and officials were standing; the sight sent chills down my spine. I glanced around a few more times, surveying the sections carefully. There were racks with all sorts of weapons- swords, bows, hatchets, and spears. There were special walls for climbing and ropes courses that spanned the ceiling. There were even stations organized with books and informational videos detailing all types of wildlife. "Mason, may I have a word with you?" Jace asked, snapping me out of my observations. I watched as they turned the corner to speak in private, wondering what was so important that Jace felt the need to talk with Mason this very second. Their secret conversation rubbed me the wrong way, and it took everything in me to quench my curiosity and remain put. 

"All tributes please gather in front of me. The session is about to begin." The head trainer, a woman that seemed to be in her late twenties, stood before us and beckoned us to the middle of the room. I hesitantly walked over to her, eyeing the other tributes. I recognized the Careers from District One, Palmer Abbott and Blair Crawford. They stood tall and confident next to each other. Beside them stood the District Two tributes, Sterling Wright and Harper Grenville, they looked vicious, like they were ready to rip someone's hair out. The last of the Careers, Vance Sturgis and Arabella Saige from District Four, seemed poised and prepared. I released a shaky breath, almost wishing I had not recognized them from their reapings. I turned my attention away from the other tributes and focused on the woman ahead of us.