Chapter Eight

I braced myself when I heard the usual knock on my door expecting to hear Cecelia's overly cheery voice at 7:30 in the morning. Instead the door cracked open and a soothing sound filled my ears. "Avery try to get some breakfast in and meet me at the elevator in fifteen minutes." It was Ezra. My foggy mind was confused for a brief moment before realizing that it was the day of the interviews; the final day before the Hunger Games.

I closed my eyes and drew in a deep breath, enjoying my final moments of peace and quiet. There was a gentle breeze that could be heard through the window in my room. For a moment it felt as if I was still at home. Any second my mother would shout at Faith and me for oversleeping, father would run out the door carrying his axe, and the doorbell would ring with today's furniture orders. I missed daily life in Seven. I missed my family and their voices. 

Rolling over in bed I was reminded of my final night before the reaping; the night where Faith and I slept in bed together. I wish I could be there for her now. I wish I could comfort her and tell her that everything would be okay. I glanced at the mirror that stood next to my bed, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. My reflection stared back at me through the glass. My appearance hadn't changed much in the past few days. I looked healthier; my face was fuller and my hair shorter. I felt older. More mature. The stress of the past few days had aged me. My eyes looked the same. The same deep green that almost all descendants of Seven shared. 

I heard the shuffling of feet outside my door and snapped out of my thoughts. No matter how much my heart ached to be at home I had to accept that I was here in the Capitol now. I could not change my fate. Sighing, I fastened the gold star choker around my neck and slipped on a comfortable pair of slippers before abandoning my room and heading out to the kitchen.

"Waffles!" Cecelia delivered a plate to me. I watched as Mason devoured his whole before exiting and wishing us well. "See you later Avery" he nodded towards me before heading down the hall to meet his team of stylists. I was left with Cecelia at the table. "He sure does eat a lot" I commented with a slight laugh. Cecelia only shook her head knowingly in response.  "My son Tucker does as well- must be a boy thing." I raised my eyes at Cecelia's comment unsure of whether I should reply. How had I not known that she had a son? I suppose I never asked. It was intriguing to me how intricate each person's lives were. While Cecelia played an unforgettable role in my life thus far, I was only a mere piece of hers. Suddenly that entire realization plowed over me. Cecelia did this every year. Met tributes and watched them die. A cloud hung over my head as I also bid farewell to Cecelia and met Ezra at the elevator.

"Ready kiddo?" He asked me enthusiastically. I mustered a smile and nodded. At least Ezra would distract me from everything going on. He always knew how to keep me occupied. We made small talk as we weaved our way through the various groups of tributes and their teams on the lower floor. Each tribute had their own room for styling. I was content to finally be free of the crowded floor. Seeing the other tributes was unnerving.

"You seem stressed" Ezra commented as he directed me to take a seat in the chair in the center of the room. "What's been bothering you?" He asked, although the question seemed rather obvious. The real question was what hasn't been bothering me? "I just miss my family. The thought of them seeing me today reminds me of them even more." I shrugged. It was the truth. All of Panem was about to watch my interview with Apollo Rockwell. Every neighbor, teacher, classmate, friend. I couldn't help but feel stressed.

Ezra smiled sympathetically. He always tried his best to relate to me even though he had never experienced being a tribute in the Games. "Don't worry darling, once you see the outfit I have planned for you tonight you'll be excited about your family watching your interview. You are going to look stunning." Ezra's words brought a smile to my face. I hoped that was true.

Fighter | The Hunger Gamesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें