Chapter Ten

When I was twelve years old my grandmother passed away from a rare illness. She had been sickly for quite some time and my grandfather had perished in a tragic lumber accident a few months prior. I distinctly remember the first gray hairs that appeared on my mother's head during those months. Her forehead seemed permanently wrinkled with sadness and despair. My grandmother however, was a brave woman highly regarded in Seven. When my mother, sister, father, and I visited her during her final days she remained courageous from her bed. "Fear of death is worth than death itself" she croaked out hoarsely, reciting one of her treasured proverbs. "If you stop fearing the thing that worries you most then you take away its power to control your life." My grandmother passed away a couple of days later, but she passed away as herself. No one else.

That was the first thing I thought of on the morning of the Hunger Games. This was the day to be brave, poised, prepared, and yet I felt the opposite. I worried about my hairstyle; would it stay intact during the Games? My nutrition; had I been eating enough? My knowledge; could I even survive on my own? And even my skills; what if I forgot how to throw a knife? Or even worse- what if I didn't have a knife?

So many thoughts competed for attention in my mind that I decided I was better off ignoring them all and walking into the kitchen with my head held high. Cecelia was already awake and seated at the kitchen table; her makeup and jewelry layered dramatically. "Good morning! Big day! Exciting even!" Cecelia chirped in her usual cheery tone, but today I could sense the strain in her voice. I couldn't find it in me to respond so I piled some scrambled eggs and roasted potatoes onto my plate instead. My stomach churned but I forced myself to choke down all of my food including a small bowl of fruit that Cecelia pushed towards me. Mason walked into the room and greeted us in his usual monotone voice. Rather than eating with us he filled his plate and left to his room. "Avery" he said before leaving. "Good luck. It's been a pleasure to be your district partner." I hesitated and then stood from my seat and hugged him. It was unexpected but it felt like the right thing to do. "Good luck to you too Mason. Fight for Seven." He smiled and nodded stiffly before leaving to his room. I glanced back at Cecelia who averted her eyes down. It almost seemed as if she was going to cry.

"It never gets easier" I whispered to Cecelia, reflecting on the hardships of her job. "Thank you. For caring about me and showing me compassion. Without your positivity I would've felt so lonely during this stay" I bit my lip in order to stop myself from crying. "Oh Avery" Cecelia stood from her seat. I noticed a stray tear fall from her lower eyelid as she approached me. "You are a beautiful young woman." She then looked nervously around the room before whispering "this should have never happened to you. It's unfair. It's cruel. Just please go out there and be smart." Her voice wavered as she wrapped me in a tight hug. I fought back tears. In the past few days I said more goodbyes than I had in a lifetime. "Your outfit is in your room. Be on the elevator in fifteen minutes exactly. Peacekeepers will escort you to the aircraft. Mason is leaving before you." I nodded at her information and wished one final goodbye before heading to my room.

I pulled on the ugly brown cargo pants and a black fitted shirt. There was a dark jacket that I shrugged on and found to be surprisingly warm. It doubled as a windbreaker. The leather boots given to me fit snuggly on my feet and as a finishing touch to my outfit I clasped my star necklace around my neck. Over the course of a few days I had improved at my hair braiding skills and braided my hair in a simple french braid. Perfect. I admired my spacious room one final time before closing the door behind me. My heart ached knowing I may never return. 

While boarding the elevator I was met by two Peacekeepers who didn't hesitate to grab both my arms tightly. Annoyed, I muttered sweetly "don't worry I'm not going to bolt." They did not reply but I felt their grip loosen slightly. Play by the rules. Earn their trust. That is what Jace would tell me.