Chapter Five

Ezra and I entered a spacious area in the basement where the tributes were all beginning to line up for the parade. Mason was already waiting for us, wearing a sleeveless forest green suit with black detailing. A crown of leaves were placed around his head; he looked quite regal and muscular. I offered him a smile "are you ready for this?" Mason laughed, "I'm ready for it to be over so we can eat dinner and go to bed." I silently agreed.

"Alright you two! Remember! Best smiles. This is very important for the both of you." Cecelia appeared out of nowhere, lecturing us as usual. Jace was standing behind her. I caught him whispering a set of instructions in Mason's ear. It was obvious who his favorite was. I scoffed and turned to Ezra. "Do you think the camera will capture my necklace?' I asked him politely to which he offered a puzzled expression before responding "it should." I sighed in relief. Hopefully my family would see that I'm okay, and the same I've always been.

Cecelia motioned to Mason and I to board the carriages that were awaiting us. "They'll begin soon. Avery! Best posture dear!" Cecelia rushed around, helping me step into the carriage. I felt a little unstable at first but began to balance as I held onto the edge of the wood in front of me. All around us the tributes were standing in their carriages, chattering excitedly. This was it. My first time on live television. "Here you go! Don't be nervous! Sponsors are watching!" Cecelia blew a kiss as we began to pull away. Ezra winked at me and offered a small wave. 

As we emerged into the open behind the other tribute carts, I heard a roar of applause. Never in my life had I seen nor heard so many people. We were headed down the runway, but surrounding the sides were thousands of Capitol citizens, all waving flags and cheering for tributes. Their bizarre outfits and brightly colored hair distracted me. I was absolutely awestruck. I caught a glimpse of the District One tributes, Palmer and Blair, decorated in stunning gold outfits, which immediately made me feel self conscious. I looked over to Mason for approval, but it was no use- he was playing up the crowd, flexing his muscles and smiling. Shit. I was clearly losing. Mason was taking the attention away from me... I needed my family to see me. 

I slowly released my grip from the wooden cart and lifted my chin up, plastering a radiant smile on my face. When I saw the cameras pass by I decided to offer a tiny wave. Hopefully Mason didn't steal all of the attention. Before I knew it the horses began to slow and come to a halt at the end of the runway. Here, all of the tributes were gathered in rows. The noise of the audience began to simmer down as President Marx emerged from his raised platform to address the public. "Welcome everyone! I am pleased to have you all here in the Capitol to celebrate the festivities of the 23rd Annual Hunger Games!" His announcements sent a new roar through the crowd- even the tributes were clapping loudly. "I offer my gratitude to each of the tributes for representing their district proudly. I wish you all the best of luck, and as always... Let the odds be ever in your favor!" President Marx' short greeting ended and the audience jumped to offer a standing ovation. I could see Apollo Rockwell commentating from a platform to the side. I was sure his broadcast was what my family was viewing. I prayed that they were able to catch a glimpse of me through all of this chaos. 

The horses circled back towards the building where the tributes were housed. The Capitol citizens cheered us on even after we were out of sight. The whole experience felt so surreal. Never in my life had I found myself in the spotlight, but suddenly here I was surrounded by thousands of people; an opportunity of a lifetime, but one I did not want.

"Great job sweetheart." Cecelia greeted Mason as we pulled back into the boarding area. "You killed that." Jace patted Mason on the back, resembling a proud father. I exited the cart on my own where Ezra was standing. "You looked beautiful" he bowed at me. I giggled softly "all because of you, thank you again." Ezra pulled me into a hug, "I'm always here for you kid." I exhaled a shaky breath and nodded to him. His words truly meant a lot.