Chapter 8

Percy P.o.v 

"Thalia I said not a scratch I think that includes sudden transformations!" I screeched agitated.

My baby sister was a wolf pup cradled in Artemis' arms and I had no idea how to turn her back. My protectiveness for Riley flared its ugly head. 

"It's not my fault!" Thalia yelled getting into my face. We were causing a scene and the hunters had begun to gather to see what the problem was.

"Thalia, I left her with you for like 10 minutes how did this even happen?"

"I don't know we were just giving the wolves so treats and some of the little pups tackled Riley making her giggle. One minute she was happily petting them and the next she was a fur baby chasing the rest of the fur babies around. " 

I looked past Thalia at Riley who's fur was a deep chocolate brown while her eyes were a beautiful blue. Even as a puppy she was adorable. 

"What happens if he's stuck like that?" I asked. I knew I was overreacting because this was a gift from Zeus and I'd transformed just fine but Riley was different, She was my baby girl. 

"I mean it's not that bad Perce, I'm pretty sure we can turn her back," Thalia said she seemed almost as upset as me. I pulled her into a hug.

"Sorry I know I'm overreacting it's just kind of hard dealing with a 4-year-old but add powers and random transformations and that's a lot." Apologizing to Thalia was rare. Usually, we just screamed until Annabeth settled our debates for us. We no longer had her though and it was up to us to solve our own problems.

"Perhaps we could just ask her nicely to be human again?" Thalia said trying to come up with an idea.

"We could try but she's 4. Kids tend to do what they want." I told Thalia, moving toward Riley and Artemis.

"Hey Riley," I said grabbing her from Artemis. "Let's say you turn back so you can shoot your arrows. You like that right?" Riley just tipped happily and licked my cheek.

I turned to Artemis not sure what to do. 

"She can turn back Percy, she just doesn't want too. I know you adore Riley but she is 4 and you're gonna have to start setting boundaries. Her powers may be new to her but I'm telling you that Riley knows what she's doing. She may have been a baby a day ago but she isn't anymore. Just tell her what needs to be done or consequences." I understood what Artemis was saying and I knew she was right it was just really hard to be tough with a kid I still saw as a 6-month-old baby. I looked down at Riley.

"Riley you're a big girl," I stopped for a second. She was a big girl but that wasn't exactly her choice now was it? "I know you understand what all of us are saying and I'm telling you that you've worried me. I know that being a puppy may be fun but I need you to turn back now. If you don't you'll be in trouble Riley and I mean that." I stared at Riley waiting to see what she would do.

Slowly the brown pup turned back into Riley in all her toddler-ish glory. Unfortunately, her eyes were glassy and her bottom lip quivered, she was going to cry any second. Wiggling out of my arms she ran to Artemis who put her on her hip as Riley cried.

"Your mean and your not my daddy. My real daddy would have let me have fun." What Riley said was like a punch to the gut. 

"Hey Riley, that's not exactly fair. Percy was just very worried about you and he had every right to be. He's only trying to take care of you." Thalia reprimanded Riley taking her from Artemis who was staring at me worriedly.

"Come on Riley let's go get some food and after lunch, you can apologize to Percy for those very hurtful words." Thalia and the hunters disappeared to get some lunch and I snapped my fingers making sure a decent enough buffet of different homemade food would be waiting for them. I turned away and started to head towards the river my tears already falling.