chapter thirteen

i woke up to my obnoxious alarm going off on at 5 in the morning. for how much i really didn't want to get up, i still forced myself out of bed to make some coffee.

as i brewed my drink, i checked my social media. i could see two separate tweets from schlatt and travis.

traves: so tired. no sleep.

jschlatt: not the greatest day, comrades.

even though they had tried to put in some humor, i still only smiled sadly.

i went inside my bathroom to wash my face up while i sipped my coffee. i planned that i would just go back to sleep when i got back home. his flight was 6 hours, anyways.

i pinned my hair up and looked at myself. for waking up this early, i looked like absolute shit. my face was extremely blotchy, my hair wasn't brushed yet, and i had eyebags but i didn't care, to be honest. i just needed to say goodbye to schlatt. if he was my boyfriend, he wouldn't care too much about my appearance, right?

i brushed out my hair and put it into a small ponytail to keep it out of the way. i took a couple more sips of my coffee before going to sit on my bed and go on social media until it was time for me to go.

i stayed at home till i thought that it was a good time to leave the house. i quickly brushed my teeth before i left to drive to the airport.

once i had gotten there, it was only 5:50. schlatt wasn't there yet so i went inside the gift shop to pass the time.

as i was browsing, i checked out the hoodies with words that said 'california' or 'san diego'. would it be too cheesy to buy him something like this? or would he even like this? i looked at the price. $60.

holy shit, nevermind.

i went to the candy section and got him some overpriced sour gummy worms instead, just to be at least a little thoughtful. i decided to text him.

y/n: which terminal are you going to again?

schlatt: terminal a with delta. we'll be there in a couple of minutes.

i sat down at a seat near the delta luggage check-in, keeping my eyes peeled for two inhumanly tall guys. i felt i looked very weird, not having any suitcase with me, looking around for someone. it was something i shouldn't be caring about, but i suddenly felt overly conscious about what was going around me.

after a long time, i finally saw them, with carson's blond bowl cut and schlatt's cap that he always wore. i smiled and snuck up behind, scaring them. they both shouted a little, but we started to laugh together.

"i- i wasn't scared!" carson said, trying to regain himself but i wouldn't leave it alone.

i smiled and started to walk with them, holding schlatt's rolling suitcase like the lady i was. when we were in line waiting to get his ticket, i remembered the candy that i got for him. "oh, schlatt!" i said as he was looking on his phone. he looked up at me. "i got you some gummies."

he smiled at me and opened it, starting to eat it. "great thing to eat on an empty stomach, thanks."

my face started to heat up. "oh, well, i didn't know if you ate or not-"

he immediately cut me off.  "no-no, it's fine. it's great, thank you." i forced myself a small smile.

once it was schlatt's turn to get his ticket printed, i started to make some small talk with carson. "how is it waking up this early? i wouldn't expect you being happy about it."

carson shook his head with a small laugh. "yeah, definitely. i had a terrible time trying to get up, and so did the others to say goodbye to schlatt. it's really strange though, schlatt had a really easy time to get up, despite going to sleep after you left."