chapter twenty

i sat cross-legged in my seat, sipping my coffee in the diner with schlatt. he was explaining what we could do today. "i saw that there was this hike where you basically walk in the water the whole time."

i placed down my cup carefully. "what? clarify."

"it's like a riverwalk."

"you still didn't explain shit."

he sighed a little and brushed through his hair with his fingers. "it's a river with currents. and you walk in the water for hiking."

i gasped dramatically and whisper-shouted, "you're trying to drown me?"

"i mean, i was thinking that but if you don't want that i'll think of something else," he said casually before drinking his coffee. i laughed into my sleeve.

i smiled a little at him before going stone-faced. "that's not funny at all. why would you say such a thing?" i asked. he stared back at me with a better poker face. i broke first. "jesus, you win. you're not gonna put more thought into my murder?"

he shook his head. "i can act right-handed if i drown or choke you, i need to get away with this in some way!" i huffed but before i could respond, our food had arrived. we had to shut up for a little so no one could actually be worried about our dumb conversation.

we ate our breakfast and talked more except we talked more normally and nothing that would make us suspicious.

when our waitress came over to give us our bill, the lady had slid it closer to me with a paper underneath and winked at me. i didn't show any reaction but gave schlatt a little of a confused look when she left. i looked at the paper. it had pretty, curly handwriting.

call me; 917-272-9938
- zoe maples

i looked at schlatt. he looked clearly jealous or upset, i couldn't tell. i showed him the paper and covered my mouth so i didn't laugh and insult the poor girl. he smirked a little and gave it back to me, then paid for our bill.

when we got up to leave, schlatt took my hand and kissed me on the top of my head. i didn't say anything but smile until we left the diner. i punched him in the arm as we walked back to the car. "you're such an ass, jonathan!" i told him, "you probably hurt the poor girl!"

"i'm the ass?" he asked, "i'm just showing that you're not available, do you want to get with the girl?"

i groaned softly to myself. "obviously not, but you no doubt embarrassed her!" i crossed my arms but talked more when we were in the car. "are you jealous because of a wink and a piece of paper from a woman?"

he didn't answer me as he started to drive back to the cabin. i stared at him.

"you're just not gonna answer me?" he again didn't answer me. i didn't say anymore.

we got back inside the cabin and he still didn't speak, only sitting on the edge of the bed to look down at his phone. i felt guilty for snapping at him as i did. it was ignorant.

i hesitantly sat next to him and looked down at my lap. "i'm sorry, schlatt," i said softly to him, "i shouldn't have overreacted." he again didn't reply to me but instead put his arms around me. "you can talk to me about whatever you want, i won't mind."

schlatt buried his face in my hair and replied in a muffled tone. "no, you were right. i was jealous, but i didn't have any reason to. i'm sorry."

i put my hand up to his face so i could look at him, "just know i treasure you, alright?" he nodded and planted a soft kiss onto my lips.

"you do too much for me," he whispered quietly.

i smiled playfully. "i know."

---