chapter twenty-two

author's note: (cover) one of these things are not like the other! 😌✌️

it was our final full at our cabin and we had just finished cleaning up what we could in the place. schlatt looked down at the info card that he got on our first day and browsed through it. "there's apparently a lot of good geocaches around here. you wanna do that?"

"geocaching? like those containers to trade?" i asked. he showed me the app already downloaded on his phone and nodded. "i'm down. download it on my phone." i tossed him my phone as i quickly put on one of schlatt's hoodies.

i could hear him tapping on my phone before i heard a ring on my phone. i looked at him expectantly. "text from alexander, asking how you are," he told me as he gave me back my phone, now getting a facetime call.

i sighed and watched the phone ring for a second, contemplating to ignore it but instead decided against it. "i'll go outside, i'll get you when i'm finished," i said to schlatt before i left the cabin, sitting on a log around the unlit firepit before i answered. "hi, alex."

"you're outside?" he immediately asked. i could tell he was trying to analyze the video of me. it was funny but i didn't laugh.

"well, yeah. i needed to answer your call," i replied as i rubbed the fabric of the sweatshirt against my thumb and index finger. "i think schlatt would break my phone if he heard you being irritating."

he sighed dramatically. "you're still not over him?"

"bro, are you fucking serious?" i asked without smiling. "it's not your business on who i'm dating. you don't know him."

"y/n, i'm just trying to look out for you-"

"and i don't need you to do that! i love him, he loves me. it shouldn't be a thing you're worried about whenever you talk to me. i don't think you realize that you're really obnoxious," i said as my voice started to get louder. i stopped to take a deep breath before speaking again. "just don't worry about me when it's not needed. i have a really good boyfriend, trust me on it."

he stayed quiet as he looked down at whatever was underneath his table. "how is new york?" he asked after a moment.

"it's fun, i've been enjoying my time here. i'm getting back on saturday."

he nodded but still didn't look at his phone. "nice... well, i think i have work soon. i'll talk to you some other time."

"yep. bye," i replied quietly as i ended the call. jesus, how awkward. i opened the door for the cabin and called out to my boyfriend. "you ready to go, schlatt?"

i could see him hop up off the bed and go up to me, greeting me with a kiss on my forehead. "how was the call?"

"it wasn't anything special, i don't want to talk about it. let's just go geocaching."

---

we started to walk around on the rocks looking for the container for our first geocache. it was small and we expected it to be in some crack between the rocks. after a couple of minutes, i found it and called out to schlatt. "i found it! come over here!" i opened it and saw some pretty seashells, handmade bracelets, some sort-of antique coins, and a logbook with a pen.

i wrote down in the logbook what schlatt had told me, checked out the objects a little more, and then put it away, as we didn't have anything to trade for them with actual good value.

we had resumed trying to find geocaches when we stumbled across one that was in a river in the map. for the hell of it, we decided to go and find it. when we got to the river, we watched it for a second, trying to find it to see if it was in the open, in a way.