Chapter 30

--- 30 ---

AUSTIN:

Glancing last time over peacefully sleeping Andy, I pulled the hood over my head and opened the door, not knowing my destiny, I stepped out it brightly lit hallway… my legs trembled and my hands were shaky.

I wasn’t running away… I was scared that if I stayed, it would get worst.

I don’t know what I was doing or where I was planning to go but I had to get out of here as soon as I can before anyone would know I’m missing…

But even before I could catch my next breath, emergency siren beeped near by, alerting the nurses of my breakout. Not waiting for another thought, I hurried towards the exit, making sure that my bandaged arm was fully hidden under my jacket and so did my face.

The sudden panic and rush made my head throb harder. I took long hurrying steps towards the exit, praying silently to pass-by unnoticed. The siren sounded further as I rushed out of the Private Room Section, making my way to the main door of Intensive Care Unit.

“Excuse me Sir?” my feet got stoned to the ground, hand froze on the steel handle and my heart skipped a beat. I didn’t dare turn around, waiting for the nurse to scold me and drag me back to the room. She didn’t do either and I noticed from the corner of my eye that she’d stood up from the stool she was sitting on, behind the Reception counter. “Are you leaving?” she asked in her forced polite voice.

I nodded, without turning towards her.

“If you’ll please…” she smacked a thick register on the counter, raising a pen towards me. I could feel her hard gaze on me, literally burning my side. I stood still, but my legs were still trembling. I tried to breath normally incase she’d notice anything strange.

I didn’t know what to do! Turn around and give myself away or run out or stay where I was and wait for another instruction, maybe an easy one, because signing would mean using my right hand which was heavily bandaged and she’d know instantly.

A few long seconds later she cleared her throat. “I hope you remember that you need to Check-In when you’re visiting a patient…” she spoke slowly as if instructing a toddler. “…and Check-Out when you ought to leave, Mr. Carlson.” And like someone sucked my breath out with a vacuum! How the hell she knew who I was? “And today you haven’t done either.” Although she kept her voice normal but I could feel her annoyance.

I guessed she must be talking about Paul. My heart raced faster as I gathered my breath and strength to answer her but was interrupted by the shouting of another nurse who was running towards us. “We’ve got a problem!”

That was all I needed to escape. I made my way out normally and then broke out in a run as soon as I was in the corridor. Most of the people turned around, looking curiously at the crippling runner. I didn’t know how long I’d been in coma but it was enough to suck away all my strength. Ignoring the shaking legs and pain rising in my head where I’d got cut, I rushed in the elevator just before it got closed.

A few seconds later the elevator stopped on the ground floor and I hurried out, almost blindly and bumped in to a girl.

“Oh I’m so sorry—” she mumbled but stopped abruptly, gaping at my face. Her mouth hung open and her eyes going huge. “Austin— How… wha—”

Her breath was lost just as mine was. Collie stood in front of me, staring at me, looking bewildered. She opened her mouth whether to say something or scream but I shook my head vigorously. “Don’t!”

“But—”

“Just don’t say anything…” I whispered hoarsely and pushed her in the closing elevator, not giving her enough time to argue and hurried out of the hospital, getting in the cab right out side.