Chapter 8

I found myself lost in an unknown place.

"Where the hell am I?", I asked myself, my hands deep in my hoodie's pocket. I kept walking, just as I did when I left my hotel room and wandered around a place that somehow, somewhere in the back of my head, it was familiar.

Things had been strange for a while now. I couldn't understand nor recognize myself at sometimes. I've been walking for a while now, I don't remember exactly why, but I really wanted to walk. It's weird that my feet aren't hurting, I'm just walking around as I look at familiar streets – even though I'm sure I've never been here.

After fighting with Karen and Tyler Miller last afternoon, I kept my distance in everything related to the company. It's a relief that it's a Saturday night, I don't have any work pending to do, so I can just casually get lost.

I looked over at a street, it had nice houses. I forgot the last time I've ever been in a home that's my own. Ever since my mother passed away, I've been living at Dr. Oaks' house. Then when I was able to go out on my own financially, after ending college, I've been living at hotel rooms.

It's not that I don't have the money, but I'm afraid that I'll never find the comfort of a home again.

"Shit, that's deep", I laughed at myself in a low voice, until I stopped walking. Something had caught my eye.

It was a simple house. It reminded me a lot of my childhood home. I looked over and everything about it was perfect. I could even imagine myself living there. I stood there, like a stupid man, looking at the details of the house and then at the number of it. I was fascinated, for some reason, with it.

Even though the heart I own now isn't mine, I'm sure that it had something to do with my strange attitude.

"Jameson, I need you to buy a house on my behalf", I called my P.A that, by now, became used to my sudden out-of-character outbursts.

"Send me the address, boss", he said firmly, making me happy that I have someone like him, that doesn't hesitate to do what I want to do. "I'll take care of it"

After sending him the location, I kept looking at the house for a few minutes. I had the odd feeling that I have been here before. I shook my whole body at the thought of it, I might have to do a talk with Dr. Oaks on Monday. As I sent him a message for him to call me, I was coming through a weird street. It was too thin for a car to fit, so you could only walk through it.

As Stevie Wonder's Sugar started playing, because it became my new ringtone after I heard it for the first time and loved it, I saw it was Dr. Oaks' calling me. But I heard a woman sobbing a few meters away from me and I raised my head, ready to either help or run if it was threat.

But my heart started beating fast at the sight of Louisa looking up to me, as fat tears rolled down her cheeks. She had a suitcase beside her, it seemed that she was crying unconsolably but stopped after seeing me. I took my lollipop out of my mouth as I silenced my phone, I'd call Dr. Oaks later.

"Are you okay?", I asked her, after hesitating for a while. She silently wiped the tears off her face.

"What are you doing here?", she asked, standing up and looking away from me. She must've been embarrassed.

"I—", I didn't even know where to start. "Odd things have been happening to me, so I don't know how I even came here", I simply admitted as she nodded. Maybe she also noticed that things haven't been the same with me. It was pretty obvious. "And you?"

"I live here", Louisa said, pointing to a small entrance to an apartment that seemed to have a rooftop. I looked and nodded; I was about to put my lollipop back into my mouth when I saw her suitcase again. She followed my eyes and saw me staring at it. "I'm coming home after a month"