Chapter 14

I had a lot to explain to my former colleagues when I went to the Secretary Lounge, looking for my coat. I think they kind of learned how to approach me better, since they weren't bombing me with questions, they just waited for me to talk and explain.

"Does that mean you're working exclusively for Mr. Jackson?", Reina asked, opening her Tupperware that had homemade food. "Ay Dios mío mi amor, will you be okay?", she said, and I nodded my head.

"He's a scary guy", Lenore said, taking out her own stuff from her food bag.

"I don't have much time to explain it all, but I just have to say that he's not as scary as I thought he was...", I trailed off, thinking about the way he spoke to me earlier. How he had assured me that I was out of the war and that he'd protect me. I couldn't help but feel goosebumps.

"Don't let your guard down, girl", Reina scolded me, seeing me lost in my thoughts.

"Queenie's right Lou, he might be doing this with another purpose, one can't just jump from bad to good from overnight!", Lenore said, and I bit my lip, assuming she was right. But still, something inside of me insisted that he wasn't bad. He had been edged to be bad. That's the difference between him and his uncle.

"You're hesitating", Reina pointed out, squinting her eyes at me.

"No... listen, I've got to go now", I said, gripping my coat tightly as I started walking out of the room.

"Hey! Aren't you going to eat?", Lenore hollered, but I didn't reply, rushing my way back to Mr. Jackson's office.

Michael was waiting for me, he was wearing only a white shirt with a black blazer on, his pants matching the blazer. He looked at his clock and tapped his foot, looking quickly down to his phone before noticing me coming to him.

And boy, when he looked at me, I felt butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

That's when I knew it wasn't right.

I shook my head, having Georgie in the back of my mind. What he would think of me if he knew I was falling for another man? It hasn't been long since he passed away... This isn't right. No matter how much my mind tries to not think of Michael in that way... my body was betraying me. Because I had smiled at him as if seeing him was something that made me feel alive.

I haven't felt this way in a while. I've been feeling so broken and lonely until now, when Michael smiles back at me.

"You're ready, Louisa?", he asks me sweetly as I nod, reaching him to walk next to him. "We're going to one of my favorite restaurants", he says as we wait for the elevator.

"Oh, really? What's their specialty?", I asked, genuinely curious. I knew for a fact that this man doesn't eat that much, he's slim but still he looked strong. I bet he's into the healthy lifestyle.

"You'll see", he smirked, and I simply shrugged.

We reached the parking lot and I had the keys to his BMW as Daniel has given them to me a few minutes before. "He's a terrible driver, if anything, avoid him going behind the wheel", Daniel had told me.

I really had no problem in driving at all, but as I took the keys out of my pocket, Michael quickly snatched them away from my hand. I blinked repeatedly. "H-hey!"

"Let me guess, Daniel told you not to let me drive, huh?", he said with a cheeky smile, making her blush and look at her feet. "I'll take that as a yes..."

"Yeah, he did", she blurted out, making him laugh. "Why is it so funny?"

"Just to make my nerves leave, it's been a while since the last time I drove ...", he said with all seriousness in his face, making me go pale as I entered the seat and slowly buckled the seat belt on... very tight.