Chapter 23

I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing.

As I sat in the table, Louisa next to me as she was chatting with Janet. Both of them were so enthusiastically talking that it made me snort when Janet glared at me. She had apologized to me before, and so did I. Sometimes I was very mean with people that judged me and the first impression she gave me wasn't a good one.

"I always said I would love to have a brother but it seems that I have a nosy one", she squinted her eyes at me, revealing that she didn't wanted me to hear her conversation with my girl.

I snorted, almost spilling the water I was drinking. "I wasn't looking at you, dumbass", I said and almost bit my tongue when my mother crossed the kitchen and gave me a warning look. She had already said that she didn't want us bickering, but bonding, since so much time has been lost.

"I forget that Louisa is dating you, seriously—", then she looked at Louisa again, that was fighting a smile. "What did you even see in him?"

Before Louisa could reply, I interrupted her. "What it isn't there to see?", I squinted my eyes, making Janet laugh. I know she's only teasing me, the air between us is less tense after the small talk we had.

"I hope you guys are hungry, today has been a long day for Michael so I made some lasagna", my mother said and started serving the food, with help of Louisa and Janet.

As I didn't wanted to be the only one without doing anything, I helped by putting some paper napkins and then taking the carrot juice from the fridge.

Turning around, I saw the three women already sitting and waiting for me. And it hit me.

This was the first time I've ever felt I belonged somewhere.

There wasn't any worries or hatred inside of me. I felt at peace. Watching my mother's glowing face, Janet's cheeky eyes and Louisa's innocent stare.

This was where I wanted to be.

"What's the problem?", Louisa asked softly, a bit worried because I was frozen in the spot.

My mother smiled as I smiled widely. "Nothing... I'm—", I started walking back to the table, placing the juice over the table. "—thinking", I simply said and as Louisa nodded, we proceeded to pray before eating.

Hours later, Louisa and I were casually strolling around London. She bought herself a few clothes and we were about to get into a coffee shop.

We were holding hands and I had my aviator sunglasses just to look cool. I chose Louisa's clothes for the outing and made sure we were matching.

I mean, nobody here knows us, so who cares?

"You want normal or large size?", Louisa asked me as I sat down by the window. She took her wallet out of her purse and I was about to take mine out and protest, but she signalled me to shut up. "My treat", she smiled and I could've sworn this was made me feel all lovey-dovey like.

"Normal is fine", I said and I puckered my lips, expecting a kiss before she left.

She looked at me, weirdly and smiling before kissing me quickly and then going to make her order.

I tapped my left hand fingers over the table as I took my phone out of my pocket and checked out if Karen replied my texts.

We need to talk.

I had sent the text at least two hours ago and she hadn't replied yet. Thinking that she might've been busy because of my absence. I sighed, stopping the tapping and looking over where Louisa was also checking her phone with a slight smile.