Chapter 9

Tyler Miller had been in love with his best friend ever since high school.

The only problem he had, was that he was always one step – just one goddamn step behind George Collins.

He had always been embarrassed at the fact his father was a mere security guard, a motherless kid that had to learn things at the tough way. He had to put his best effort to be the best and he once thought that after becoming a lawyer and becoming part of the defending team of the company his father has worked for almost all his life would give him a chance to finally win over George... he thought wrong.

When he got to know George's plans to marry Louisa, he had felt defeated. He had been trying for at least fifteen years to catch her attention, always failing to do so. But he couldn't blame anyone, he was thinking of finally letting those bottled feelings go.

But everything changed when his other plans came out of light.

Mr. Washington had called him, filled with panic, to let him know that George had found him and had also interrogated him. Now he knew all the truth. Now he knew that it was Tyler the one that got Mr. Washington to pour the toxic chemicals over the mixes. But he was thinking that maybe Georgie might let him off the hook, maybe he could reveal that he was on Michael Jackson's side and blame him (even though that wasn't the case)

For now, George knew that the war wasn't between two sides, but three.

When George went to confront Tyler, the latter had tried everything in his power to convince his friend that he had made a mistake in trusting Michael Jackson, that it was him the one that had planned it all along. But for some reason, George wasn't budging.

"I'm sorry, Ty... I really am, but I have no choice but to report this at the station, this is illegal! You're my best friend, but I don't intend to break the law only because we've known each other for years.", George said as he tried to walk away, but Tyler grabbed him from the wrist and looked at him pleadingly.

Once again, Tyler found the abysmal difference between them. Because it didn't matter Tyler's position in the company, his designer clothes or his luxury car or fancy home; and it didn't matter that George had all the opposite of what he had – he had one thing Tyler had always longed for – Louisa.

"Please, Georgie... Georgie, I-I have a motive for doing all this...", he tried to explain himself and George felt his heart breaking at this moment, but nonetheless, he pulled himself off his grip and walked away.

George ran off to the street, looking for his old car, taking his phone out of his pocket. He felt so sad and terrible at the fact that he was about to make a statement against his best friend. He started dialing the number he knew by heart, but before pressing the last few numbers, he heard car tires screeching in the distance... but it wasn't as far as he thought it was.

His eyes widened at the sight of the car coming to him with such speed, not giving him enough time to run out of its way. The car hit his body and when he regained enough conscience, his phone was a few meters away from him.

Sugar by Stevie Wonder started playing, it meant that Louisa was calling him. But he didn't had strength to reach his phone or move any of his limbs. He didn't know whether the pain was real or not, but it was too much for him to handle. So almost the last thing he saw was Tyler's silhouette, his cowardly face and the way he took his phone.

"I'm sorry, Georgie... I really am...", Tyler sniffed, watching the blood come out of his friend's mouth and the pool of blood surrounding him. "I-I'll take good care of her, I promise", he said as he then took off, getting into his car and driving away.

My girl, my girl... what am I going to do with my girl? – was the last thing George ever though, following by the memory of her smiling to him for the first time.