The Bedtime Story

Rose recuperated wonderfully, seemingly oblivious that she almost died yesterday. It was wonderful, too wonderful in fact that the menace decided to wreak havoc the very next day.

"Draco! Draco! Draco!" the excited girl exclaimed, bouncing on her chair as she pointed a maple syrup-covered finger on a particular spot in the Daily Prophet.

The blond sighed and looked away from his own copy of the Daily Prophet. Apparently, Granger did not want to cancel her subscription while she was away and directed it to his house instead. Seeing that he had his own subscription, Rose claimed the extra newspaper. The young girl made excited noises at the moving pictures and even practiced her reading. It was comical to see a child reading the newspaper, but Draco couldn't help but feel a little amused every time Rose repeated a particularly difficult word perfectly.

"What is it now, Rose?" he asked, placing his newspaper aside and gulped his lukewarm coffee. He made a face and shot an envious look at Rose's steaming mug of hot cocoa. Perhaps, he should request Tippy to make two mugs of hot cocoa every breakfast starting tomorrow. He never particularly liked coffee, but it was a growing necessity as an adult if he had to go through the day in one piece.

"It's Captain Birch! Look!" She shoved the newspaper too closely to his face that he got a little cross-eyed. Rolling his eyes, he pried her tiny fists away from the newspaper and placed it at a comfortable reading distance.

Brevis Birch, captain of the Tutshill Tornados, was flashing a brilliant smile and waving happily at him. A meet and greet caption followed the picture, stating that the Quidditch captain will be available for the book signing of his autobiography, 'My Life as a Tornado' in Flourish and Blotts.

"Can we go?" she sweetly asked, showing off her complete set of baby teeth. "Oh, please please, Draco. I know you like the Tornados, too!"

He had been a huge fan even before he stepped foot into Hogwarts. Despite losing because of their Keeper's narcolepsy, the team continued to be Draco's favorite. Admittedly, he had been following the team's stats every year and although the idea of meeting the Captain and letting him sign a book was a thrilling thought, the idea of going back to crowded Diagon Alley too soon... well...

"Please, please Draco, I promise to be good," Rose pleaded, clasping both of her hands together as an added effect. "Let me see Birch, oh please please please."

Draco sighed and placed the newspaper aside. He still felt completely responsible for Rose's allergic reaction yesterday and he had mulled over how to make up for it. He made it a point to instruct Tippy that the little girl's favorite breakfast was French toasts and hot cocoa with marshmallows. He even hinted that the house-elf should add additional marshmallows the redhead seemed to love. He also told Tippy to mix her green peas with her food, as long as it would not be visibly seen, because Granger specifically told him her daughter hated her green peas and must therefore be hidden amidst the food. Despite sticking to Hermione's instructions this time, Draco thought he should do something more, something nice, to appease his gnawing guilt.

Bringing her to see Captain Birch was a good choice. He felt apprehensive on stepping foot in Diagon Alley once more, the memory of Goatee and Crooked Teeth resurfacing in his mind. But then, looking at Rose's hopeful face, he knew that the choice was already made for him. Scowling darkly, he blamed feeling all soft towards the redhead on guilt, and guilt alone.

"Oh, all right," he grumbled. Rose squealed and happily jumped up and down. "But go finish your breakfast first and then Tippy will give you a bath."

"Yes, Draco," she happily chimed, grabbing her half-eaten French toast to start munching on it again. "Thank you, Draco!"

__________