The Field Trip

As what he had predicted, Rose continued to read the Daily Prophet despite having bought new books.

"Cla... Clair... Clairvoy..."

"Clairvoyant," Draco absentmindedly muttered.

"Clairvoyant," Rose echoed. She repeated the word thrice until she was satisfied, a huge grin on her face. "What does that mean?"

He took a sip from his mug, this time filled with hot cocoa, before replying, "It means someone who can foretell the future."

"You mean like a seer?" she asked.

A smirk grew on his face, impressed. "Yes, like a seer," Draco said, nodding his head.

"Is Trelawney a clairvoyant?" Rose asked, grinning once more as she pronounced the word properly. "Mama said she predicted about Uncle Harry and Moldy Voldy's fight."

Draco lifted an eyebrow in amusement. "Moldy Voldy?"

"Uncle Harry calls him that," she explained.

He snorted. 'Figures,' he thought. "And yes, to answer your question, Trelawney's a clairvoyant."

Rose made a noise at the back of her throat and skimmed through the newspaper once more. Draco had long finished reading his own edition and found himself observing the redhead this time. She was carefully skimming through the pages, her eyes glued intently on the articles. He scowled, noting an article or two about Skeeter and her awful gossip about another war hero or a Death Eater. He had been her favourite subject, especially during his Wizengamot trial, and had penned awful things about him.

"Mama," she whispered in a gasp, eyes widening on a small picture of the War Heroine with Harry Potter. He had read about the article, stating about Granger and Potter's adventure in China. The author stated how they were still tracking down Rodolphus Lestrange.

The child then frowned and looked at Draco. "She's still not coming back?" she feebly asked, trying her very best to hold her tears.

Draco sighed. "I don't think so," he said, shaking his head.

Rose softly sniffed, and the blond sighed once more. "She'll be back soon," he reassured immediately.

"I don't think so," she echoed, haphazardly wiping her tears away.

He had no answer to that, merely staring sadly at the child. Perhaps, it was a curse to be the daughter of two of the most renowned heroes in the Wizarding World. Rose Weasley would never live a normal life, he was sure of that. As a Malfoy, Draco had grown up under the scrutiny of the society and it had suffocated him. He could sympathize with the redhead.

"What are you going to do today?" he calmly asked, trying to distract her from her distress. "Will you have another tea party?"

She shook her head, her curls whipping against her wet cheeks. "Woody and SpongeBob are away," she explained, pertaining to her toys. Draco wondered who they were. "They will be sad if we have the tea party without them."

"Do you have any other plans?"

Rose pouted, silent for a while, before shaking her head.

"Do you like to go on a field trip?" he casually asked, neatly folding her newspaper and putting it aside.

Upon the mention of 'field trip', Rose perked up. "Field trip?" she asked, hoping shining through her eyes. "Where are we going?"

"My house," he explained. "I have someone to visit."

The child looked confused. "But this is your house," she pointed out.

Draco smirked. "Yes, yes, clever girl," he said. "I meant my childhood home."