The Confession

He never really thought he'd be back in the Ministry of Magic so soon. But here he was, with a goal in mind. Potter and Hermione's recommendation's weighed heavily inside his pockets as he rushed towards the elevator with the other ministry officials.

Some paper airplanes zoomed in and fluttered quietly above as the elevator dinged for Level 2 – the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

Draco swallowed down his trepidation and slowly walked out of the lift. His eyes scanned the department once more, and unlike last time, the whole department was in a whirlwind of business and work. Nobody even gave him a spare glance, prompting him to slowly release his breath and continue his journey towards the Waiting Area.

He let his eyes scan the people present in the department, looking for the familiar bushy hair of Hermione and even the bespectacled The-Boy-Who-Lived. Both of them were nowhere to be found, and Draco figured they might have been assigned on the field today.

Sighing, most likely of relief, Draco focused his wandering gaze on the Waiting Area sign up ahead and picked up his pace.

When he walked in, several heads landed on his form and he withered. Their gazes turned suspicious, some even nasty, but thankfully, nobody made any comment about the arrival of an ex-Death Eater amongst them.

He chose to sit closest to the door, in case he changed his mind again and he needed to bolt right out of here immediately. The Waiting Area was awfully cramped with people, and he found himself jammed in between the wall and a huge, broad-shoulder man, with a smashed nose – awfully reminiscent of the wild pigs he had seen back in Hogwarts. Draco thought Porky seemed a fitting nickname for the wizard beside him.

"What are you applying for?"

Draco almost jumped from his seat, before warily gazing at Porky.

"Curse Breaker," he clipped.

Porky's eyebrows disappeared behind his fringes in surprise. "Good choice," he replied. "I plan to apply to the Magical Law Enforcement Patrol."

Draco made a noncommittal sound, looking at the man beside him appraisingly. His big built would be an asset for this department, and he highly doubted Porky wouldn't be accepted immediately.

That was the end of their small talk and Draco was forced to confront his thoughts.

With Hermione away for work and Rose somewhere in the daycare here in the Ministry, Draco found himself getting insanely bored in Granger's flat. He occasionally dropped by to monitor Zabini's performance over handling the Malfoy business – which, to his amazement, was still insanely flourishing under his management. He would also apparate back to his flat, much to Tippy's relief and delight, and would even occasionally engage his personal house-elf in some mundane conversations. He would visit his mother in the Manor, too, but she was also so preoccupied with talking to his father's portrait, and he didn't want to disturb them at all.

Potter and Granger's words still niggled at the back of his mind, cajoling him to join them in the DMLE and become a Curse Breaker. And then one day, while all of them were away, he penned a letter to DMLE regarding his application as a Curse Breaker. Everything thereafter that was a blur and now, here he was, waiting for his turn to be interviewed by the Department Head.

Draco still hadn't told Hermione about his plans, in fear that she'd get too excited and worsen his nerves all the more. He was, after all, applying for his dream job, and he didn't want her to see him crushed when he wouldn't get accepted for the job.

The door burst open and Draco straightened himself. The young witch called for a few more names, before closing the door behind her once more. He eyed those who were called in envy, knowing that their agony wouldn't be prolonged anymore, before slumping down on his seat with a frown.