The Birthday Party

If anyone asked him, Theo would deny that he bumped into Luna Lovegood in this Muggle coffee shop purposively. He was merely out for a stroll in Muggle London, escaping from his god-awful employees, paperwork and general responsibilities. As he was strolling around, his eyes chanced a glance at one of the overly-priced Muggle coffee shops and found her sitting there, thoughtfully writing on some paper.

He had Owled her two nights ago after Rose Weasley invited her to her birthday party. Theo thought this was a blessing in disguise; he was meaning to reach out to Lovegood, to insinuate another dinner with only just the two of them, but he never really knew how to start his letter. Inviting her for Rose's party was a good thing. He knew she liked the menace and thought she would instantly reply.

Apparently, he thought wrong and had been wondering if his letter ever reached her.

He was admittedly wounded. No woman had ever ignored him that long. In fact, his past exes would bombard him with numerous texts in this so-called Muggle cell phone. The witches would send him letters; the desperate ones sent Howlers. He just could not accept that Lovegood wouldn't even bother sending a letter, even if to decline the invite.

With these thoughts in mind, he casually strode into the coffee shop. She hadn't lifted her head from what she was doing, heightening his frustration. After ordering some random, fancy-sounding coffee, he immediately strolled towards her table and claimed the empty seat opposite her.

Finally, she looked up to glance at the intruder. Simply put, she was not happy to see him and Theo couldn't understand that.

"Hello," she pleasantly said, but the annoyed tightness of her jaw never left her face. "You're in Muggle London again."

"Obviously," he said, drumming his fingers on the table. He expectantly looked at Luna, waiting for some semblance of apology for her lack of response, but she merely stared at him blankly. "Oh for..." He paused, collected himself, and ran a hand through his stylishly disheveled hair. "Why didn't you answer my letter?"

Luna silently placed her pen on the table and looked at him. Theo took that chance to survey her clothes, and was surprised once more with how un-Lovegood she looked right now. She was wearing denim overalls atop a white, plain shirt. Her blonde hair was left undone today, but he could see the radish earrings underneath them. She dressed too simply it felt weird that this was actually the weird Luna Lovegood with a weird fashion sense he went to school with.

"I'm not sure if you have really noticed it, Theo, but I've cut off myself from anything magical," she said with that dreamy voice of hers. Her blue eyes were not twinkling today, however, and it made him want to do strange things just to bring those sparkles back in her eyes.

"I can see that," he said, meaningfully glancing at how severely lacking she was tightly clutching her wand or tucking it in her hair. He highly doubted they were even in her pockets. "But a reply to my letter wouldn't have hurt you, yes?"

She managed to look a little guilty and refused to meet his eyes. "It was rude of me, I'm sorry," she finally said. "I had too many wrackspurts for two days and I couldn't find the time."

She was speaking about those blasted make-believe creature once again.

"Funny how you speak about your beloved creatures when you specifically told me you cut yourself off from anything magical," he snapped back, unable to stop himself. His ego felt a little hurt from the rejection and he couldn't help but lash out at her.

Luna stiffened with his words, before slowly looking at him with such coldness he didn't know Luna Lovegood could ever possess. "It reminds me of my father," she simply said.