The Gift

"Oh, Hermione," Ginny lamented as she plopped down on the chair beside the older witch. "I just had the craziest week. I mean, I get that we have to win and all, but what I don't understand is why we have to train so hard for our upcoming match against the Chudley Cannons. The Chudleys, Hermione. Their Seeker cannot keep himself on his broom for more than two hours, honestly!"

Hermione hummed with a smile, indulging the redhead by pretending she was actually listen to all of her Quidditch woes. It just made her happy that Ginny was actually here, in her home, like they had never even ignored each other for three years.

"... Hermione," Ginny pointed out in exasperation. "You're not even listening to me."

She sheepishly grinned, prompting the redhead Quidditch player to sigh in disbelief.

"Serves you right for thinking Hermione will even listen to you yammer about Quidditch, Weasley."

Hermione blushed, resolutely refusing to look at Draco, who was casually lounging on one of the chairs in her kitchen. Her mind conjured the memory of her kissing him – well, it was more of a peck, really – but gods, did he really have to start calling her by her first name? Their moment had already been a few days ago, but Draco hadn't brought it up even once. He still acted around her like he normally did, but sometimes, she would catch him looking at her, and she would wonder.

"Why are you even here, Malfoy?" Ginny asked, mildly annoyed, but thankfully there wasn't any animosity in her eyes anymore. "Don't you have some work to do in the ministry?"

Hermione's eyes widened, realizing this also. Today was a Wednesday, after all, and it was her day-off. Draco, on the other hand, was expected to be sitting behind his desk in the DIMC.

Unwittingly, her questioning gaze finally landed on him, and found out he was looking at her already.

"I resigned," he told her, eliciting a gasp from the brunette.

"W-what? Really?"

"Yes," he said, a slow smirk growing on his face. "You were right. My talents are wasted in the DIMC. Oh, and McLaggen's a prick. He made a fit when I resigned, yapping about how ungrateful I was for throwing such a wonderful opportunity away for an ex-Death Eater like me. Bloody hell, he didn't even like me one bit."

A small smile bloomed on her face, imagining a very beardy Henrik McLaggen, turning red with anger. "So... does this mean you'll apply to the DMLE then?" she asked.

To her disappointment, he merely shrugged his shoulders. There was something in his eyes, though, that made her think that Draco was still in the process of deciding.

"Draco!" Rose suddenly exclaimed, running into the kitchen. "Oh, hello Aunt Ginny!" She pattered closer to the older redhead and gave her a big hug. Ginny cooed and pinched her niece's cheeks, eliciting infectious giggles from the little girl.

Once Ginny released her, Rose bounded towards Draco and tried her very best to pull him onto his feet. "Dracooo," she whined when the wizard still wouldn't budge. "SpongeBob is starting! Come on!"

Mild irritation flitted through Draco's face, but he finally relented and allowed the redhead to pull him into the living room.

Hermione was chuckling under her breath once Draco and her daughter were gone. "I don't get why he's always putting up a fight," she said. "Draco secretly likes watching Rose's cartoon, really."

Instead of smiling with her, Ginny gave Hermione a strange look. The chuckles died down from Hermione's lips and frowned in discomfort.

"What?"