The Silence

Hermione Granger had been a mother for six years, but she still could not prepare herself every time her daughter would throw a tantrum.

Today was exceptionally exhausting, especially because Rose looked like she was inconsolable. Her bushy, red hair was messier than ever and ugly fat tears streamed down her big, blue eyes. Hermione had to bite back a smile when she spotted snot streaming out from her nose, too.

"Oh, Rosie," she said, trying to gather the child into her arms, but Rose dodged away from her and plopped down on the carpeted floor. Hermione felt a little sorry it had to be this way, but they had been intruding far too long in Draco Malfoy's flat and abusing his surprising kindness. She was, after all, completely cured from the dark curse Lestrange inflicted on her and Mrs. Figg was back in the country. She knew it was already time for them to go home to their flat and continue on with their lives.

"W-why do we have to leave, M-Mama?" Rose whined. Hermione expelled a soft sigh when the windows in their bedroom rattled from Rose's tumultuous feelings. "I don't want to go."

"Rose..." Hermione said, crouching down on the floor to level her eyes with her daughter. "We have to go home. Draco is busy with his own life, and we can't intrude further."

"I-I don't want to go," her daughter cried and proceeded to flop face down on the floor.

The brunette could feel a headache forming, but she knew she couldn't back down just yet. Once more, she cursed her genes and Ron's for producing such a stubborn, delightful, beautiful child. Hermione knew it was for the best if she broke the news to her daughter at a very early time of the day; she suspected they wouldn't be able to leave until nighttime.

A soft pop resounded in their room and a dejected Tippy appeared. His ears were droopy today, the tips almost touching the floor, and Hermione sadly smiled. She knew the house-elf had come to love her daughter; they were almost inseparable and Tippy would also be very sad when Rose was gone.

"T-Tippy has packed all your clothes, Miss Hermione," he said, followed by a loud sniff and a tear down his eyes. He sadly looked at the still crying Rose, his bottom lip quivering with emotions. "Tippy wishes you both the best, Miss Hermione, Little Miss Rosie."

His voice had cracked upon saying Rose's name, and immediately apparated away without being dismissed. Hermione thought she heard a loud wail somewhere in the humongous flat and sighed once more.

"We'll be leaving later tonight, Rose," Hermione said. "We still have a few hours for you to spend time with Draco."

Her wails grew louder when she mentioned the blond's name.

For the umpteenth time, Hermione sighed.

This would be a long day.

__________

"Where's Rose?"

"She didn't want to leave the room," Hermione said as she plopped down on the vacant chair beside him. The aroma of their lunch tickled her nose and her stomach softly grumbled in anticipation. One thing she would miss in Draco's flat was Tippy's cooking. She could cook decently, and even Mrs. Figg could whip up a wicked shepherd's pie, but they still all paled in comparison to Tippy's cooking.

A small smirk appeared on his face. "Still throwing a tantrum?" he asked.

She groaned and dug in. "Motherhood is hard," she said with a sigh. "This just makes me miss my mother all the more."

"Do you want me to talk to her?" he offered.

Hermione looked contemplative for a while, before slowly nodding her head. "You know what? I think that's a good idea," she said, followed by a sigh. "After all these years..." She let her words falter as she shook her head. It was sad, really, for she somehow knew the answers to all things magical. If not, she could still research about them in her beloved books, and she would instantly get an answer, no matter how long the journey took. But motherhood... There was no clear protocol on how to become one, and it had frustrated her so. Knowledge alone would not suffice, and Hermione knew that. It was something she had feared ever since Rose came into her life, and she didn't want to mess up.