The Reunion

Rose was discharged a few more days after she woke up. Since she continued being her usual self, Draco took that as a good sign. He had reverently stayed in her room as much as his schedule permitted him. Admittedly, he was starting to neglect his work in the DIMC (and surely McLaggen wasn't understanding), but Rose's welfare was all that mattered to him right now.

Hermione was also excused from work and constantly accompanied her daughter. Sometimes, Potter would drop by to update them on Lestrange's case. Thankfully, the bastard was finally scheduled for a trial. Harry assured them he would mostly likely rot in Azkaban, and Draco felt a little disappointed Dementors were banned in Azkaban already and therefore unable to give kisses for evil gits like him.

Both Hermione and Rose insisted for him to sleepover the night they returned home. Draco, knowing he had no other choice, relented to their wishes. This time, he slept on their couch alone and it took all of his willpower not to invite Hermione over.

The sleepover happened the next day, too. And the next day. And the day after that.

Their lives were slowly returning to their proper paces. Draco was once again swamped with work, piles of paperwork left untouched due to his constant absence during Rose's recuperation. He usually went home late, and missed most of the dinners in Granger's flat, but Draco knew it was the only way if he didn't want to suffer the wrath of Henrik McLaggen.

Now, amidst a particularly crappy project he had to finish before the week ended, he still could not understand how Harry Potter successfully invited him over for lunch alone. Draco mindlessly agreed at first, thinking that Hermione would join them anyway, but when the bushy-haired witch was nowhere to be found, he panicked.

"Hermione's busy," Potter said, also looking uneasy. "And err... ugh, damn it. I didn't invite you for lunch just for some friendly chat, Malfoy."

"Imagine the horror if that's the case," the blond replied, grimacing.

Harry also made a face and nervously cleared his throat. A waiter came over to take their orders, and once he left, The-Boy-Who-Lived started to explain the purpose of their meeting.

"Look, Davies was immensely impressed with you during Rose's rescue."

Draco lifted an eyebrow. "Why do I have a feeling this meeting isn't about gratitude and all that shite?" he drawled, leaning back on his chair.

Harry rolled his eyes and rummaged inside his pockets. "It's not," he simply said. Then, he pulled two envelopes from his coat and placed them on the table. Draco eyed them in question, and Harry explained, "Those are the glowing recommendations you needed to apply as a Curse Breaker in the ministry. Hermione really wanted to give this to you in person, but she's swamped with work. However, she specifically told me she already penned this the night you said you wanted to be a Curse Breaker."

He snorted in disbelief, not even doubting what Potter said. "And the other letter?" he asked.

Potter looked at him as if he was stupid. "The other ones from me," he slowly said a tinge of pink on both of his cheeks. Draco's eyebrows flew behind his fringes, actually surprised that Potter would give him the other recommendation he needed to apply. "I'm only saying this once, Malfoy, but you were bloody brilliant during the rescue mission. You have the knowledge and skills that are perfect for Curse Breakers. Hell, you can even be a damn good auror if you like. Davies desperately wants you to apply." He wildly gestured at the letters and smiled. "These are all just technicalities, to be honest. Our Department Head is merely waiting for you to haul your arse into the DMLE."

Draco, with slightly shaking hands, grasped the letters. He still was conflicted; although tedious, he really wanted his proposal to push through in the DIMC. But, bloody hell, this was his dream. When he was on the field, deactivating dark artifacts and booby traps, every nerve in his fiber was alive. He honestly couldn't remember the last time his magic had hummed in exhilaration before they saved Rose.