The Other Hospital Visit

"Draco."

Draco sighed and looked up from his desk. Granger stood on the threshold, a small smile on her face. 'Like mother, like daughter,' he thought with a sneer. If it wasn't blasted Rose who was bothering him, Hermione Granger easily took her place.

"What now?" he grumbled, sifting through the reports he had to write, edit, and mail. The paperwork was endless; he really hated the Malfoy business. "I said I can't be disturbed for the day."

Three companies he was affiliated with were facing bankruptcy and if Draco didn't work hard to draft a contingency plan, one-eighth of the Malfoy wealth would be severely affected. He was still a prideful man and he did not want to be known to be the 'Malfoy that lost one-eighth of the family's riches'. Although serving Voldemort had been quite expensive, Lucius Malfoy was a very intelligent, business-minded man. Draco could not, for the life of him, understand how his father was still able to fill their vaults despite the Dark Lord's lavish reign of terror. The Muggle companies most likely contributed to their continued riches. He suspected corruption was at play too, but Draco doubted he could even stomach doing what his father did.

"Yes, I've heard," the brunette said. "But, I think it isn't right you still skip breakfast. It's the most important meal after all."

Before he could protest, Hermione already called for Tippy. His house elf popped instantly with a small tray at hand. Draco refused to show that he was actually quite hungry while Tippy placed a plate of pancakes drenched with maple syrup on his table and a cup of coffee.

"So, you order around my house elf now?" he snarled. Tippy quickly disappeared and Hermione was affronted.

"I do not order him around!" she protested. "I requested him to bring you one."

He flippantly waved his hand. "Technicalities," he said, nonchalantly grabbing a fork and slicing through the mouth-watering breakfast.

"Trust Draco Malfoy to answer snark to my kindness," she answered with a glare.

Draco lightly smirked and lifted his head to look at her once more. "Oh, did I hurt your little Gryffindor heart?" he cajoled, amused at how she bristled with his comment.

"We're not in Hogwarts anymore, honestly," Hermione huffed, crossing her arms against her chest. "We can't forever label each other based on our Houses before."

"But I'll always be a Slytherin through and through," he said, hand in heart. "And you will always be a true, bleeding Gryffindor, Granger."

Hermione made a huge show of rolling her eyes. "Prat," she insulted. "I don't even know why I put up with you."

His smirk morphed into a full-blown grin. Their banter was reminiscent of their time together as partners for missions. At first, there was hostile energy between the two, as expected from a known Pureblood, Slytherin bigot, and a know-it-all, bossy Gryffindor. But somehow, as they started to trust each other, to save each other's back, hostility turned into tolerance. Tolerance turned into reluctant acquaintance. After all, if Hermione did not trust him, he wouldn't be taking care of Rose in the first place.

"If you're done being a bother, you may now leave," he said, waving her off again.

"Wait, I actually came here to give you something," she said, rummaging in her pockets. "A letter came for you but since you weren't at breakfast a while ago..."

Draco glanced at the letter and blanched at the familiar St. Mungo's seal on it. Instantly, he grasped the letter from her hands and tore it open.

He silently read the letter, his heart dropping to his stomach once he had finished.

"Draco?" she asked, worry in her voice. "Is everything all right?"