CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"Caroline, I'm not dating anyone else, I'm engaged to you!" I practically barked at Caroline, standing in front of me

It was barely nine in the morning and Caroline was already testing my patience. An online tabloid had posted an article with a picture taken months ago, before Caroline was even on my radar, with stories about my relationship with Georgia.

The last time I had seen Georgia was probably around the same time that that particular picture was taken, but Caroline insisted on making my life miserable by coming over and lecturing me about when I had absolutely no control over what they published.

This small, insignificant article had made it necessary for Caroline to get dressed and have her driver bring her to my home to question me about.

"Where did you meet her, Aiden?" Caroline demanded, stomping her foot like a child.

"Caroline, get this through to your head. I did not meet her, okay?" I explained, wanting to pull my hairs out, "You can even look in my closet. I don't even have that suit anymore!"

"I want to look at your phone," she said.

"Excuse me?!" I was flummoxed by her words.

We were fully grown adults and she wanted to check my phone, like we were in high school.

"Show me your phone!" she demanded, "I want to see what you have been talking to her about."

"I haven't spoken to Georgia in months," I said.

Caroline narrowed her eyes. "Why are you being so difficult, Aiden? If you have nothing to hide, just show me your phone."

"We're not children, Caroline. Take my word for it. I'm not cheating on my fiancée, do you understand?" I asked, my breathing erratic.

She wasn't satisfied. Caroline tapped her foot against the floor, impatiently, with her arms crossed over her chest.

I inhaled deeply to try and calm myself. "Caroline, the only women who have been in this apartment ever since we got engaged are you, my housekeeper, and Rosalie. You remember Rosalie? The wedding planner you wanted to hire for our wedding? I have not been unfaithful. That picture is months old."

Caroline was still frowning, but her foot tapping stopped. She regarded me for a few silent minutes.

"I have to go meet my father, Caroline and then I have meetings today and I'm going to go that tailor you wanted me to with Rosalie to pick suits, so please understand that I'm not with anyone other than you, alright?" I said, as Caroline rolled her eyes, "Can we leave now, please?"

Caroline huffed and walked out the door, leaving me angered before I even started my day.

I wasn't planning on visiting my father, but I had to. I had to get to the bottom of the hellish life I had been living for the past two months ever since this nightmare of an engagement was pitched to me.