CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Wedding Planner Rule Number 7

You are not a relationship counselor.

I had never seen Aiden so angry before.

He was almost blowing smoke out of his nose as he stared me down, like I had done him a great injustice. I tried to squeeze his arm and calm him down, but what I said had only seemed to make him angrier than he already was.

"You've seen the way we are with each other," he practically spat in my face, towering over me because he was so tall and broad, "Is that what you would call love, Rosalie? When have you looked at us and thought that we embody all that is loving in a relationship? You're smart, you can't be so blind. Don't you warn your clients when you think they aren't compatible? You've seen so many weddings happen, you must be an expert by now. Don't you even mention that they might be marching right into the eye of the hurricane?"

I stared at him, trying to calm my breathing, trying to figure out what I could tell him so that he didn't take his anger out on me in front of everyone in the shop. I gulped.

"It's not my place to interfere in a relationship, despite what I think about the match. Some people aren't how they seem to the world. I cannot judge a couple based on a few moments I spend with them," I said, feeling my voice shake slightly.

He scoffed at me and looked away. I brushed myself off, telling myself that I didn't need to be scared of him.

"And," I said, raising my eyebrows, making Aiden turn to face me again, "My business is the business of weddings." I shrugged, with a small smile, "Why would I want to steer people away from having a wedding?"

Aiden's expression changed as he stared at me. His frown dissipated and his expression turned thoughtful. And then, in the most spectacular turn of events, he laughed. The sight made my heart twinge. "You're a true businesswoman," he told me, "I respect that. It's a bit twisted, but I respect it."

I shrugged, trying not to take what he said as too much of a compliment. I had learned from my years in the trade that meddling into relationships, especially rocky ones, don't always end well. "Everything is a bit twisted," I told him.

He gave a chuckle. "Shall I try on the next one?" he asked and I nodded.

Aiden went back into the fitting room and I waited, writing down my remarks about it to make sure I narrow down the best options to show Caroline.

The next time Aiden walked out, he wore a white suit with a black tie. His face had an absolutely dejected expression on it, as he looked down and kept adjusting his lapel. I got up to help him fix his tie and pocket square.

I had absolutely no idea why Caroline would even think to put her husband in a white suit at a red wedding. He would stick out like a sore thumb and the suit itself didn't do Aiden any favours. He was one of the most handsome men I had ever met, but he didn't carry himself with his usual confidence and charm when he wore this.