CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

I closed my car door and looked at the car that was parked on the other side of the visitor's parking lot at Aiden's apartment complex

It was a black town car.

It looked immensely familiar.

Then again, there were so many black town cars in the city that they were all probably going to look familiar.

Aiden's building housed many rich and important people and all rich and important people seemed to own at least one black town car.

I stared at it for a while before shaking my head and walking into the building.

I was about to turn my head and not to the man at the reception, when the elevator doors opened, taking my attention.

Nothing could have prepared me for the person who walked out.

Caroline Baxter.

She stepped out, dragging a suitcase with her, fishing around in her handbag angrily.

Her gaze was diverted by her handbag and a cold sweat broke over my forehead.

Alarm bells went off in my head.

Before I could think of anything else to do, I dashed over and ducked behind the reception so that she couldn't see me.

I poked my head around to look at Caroline.

She was muttering, angrily to herself as she pulled her phone out of her handbag. She pressed two buttons and pressed the phone to her ear.

As she walked out, I heard her shrilly bark into her phone, "Mother!"

My eyes watched the sliding doors that had closed behind her and I exhaled, relieved to not have been seen by her.

I turned my head to see the man at the reception looking down at me with a funny look on his face.

I smiled at him, sheepishly. "I borrowed her handbag once; she still hasn't forgiven me," I said, giving him the first explanation I could think of as to why I had hidden from Caroline.

The guy at the reception nodded, but he looked even more confused.

I would have laughed if I hadn't been so stressed out.

Trudging into the elevator, I pressed the button for Aiden's floor and slumped against the cool metal of it.

Heaving a sigh, I wondered why Caroline had even been here.

We hadn't heard from her for weeks and she suddenly shows up out of the blue?

Aiden must have said something to her, judging by how angry she was.

My brow was till furrowed as I knocked on Aiden's door.

The door flew open a few moments later.