CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Wedding Planner Rule Number 9

Always keep all parties happy.

The office was mostly in darkness.

Everyone else had gone home and I was in my office, making the notes that were fresh in my mind from the meeting I had had earlier that day with the loveliest couple.

A sound near the door made me raise my head.

There was a figure that was moving towards me in the darkness.

I felt vulnerable.

They could see me, but I couldn't see them.

I got up and picked up the lamp on my table to use as a weapon.

Before I could think of moving, the figure had made its way to my door. I raised the lamp ready to fling it.

"Rosalie, no! It's just me."

I dropped my shoulders.

"Ian! What the hell are you doing here? You scared the life out of me," I said, putting the lamp back, "God!"

"Sorry," he said, coming into my office.

I looked at him. He was dressed in his work clothes, looking completely put together, as he always did.

"What brings you here?" I asked, when he was quiet for a while.

He looked at me.

"I think I'm dying," he said.

My eyes widened. "What? What's wrong?" I asked, taking a step towards him.

"I've been coughing up blood," Ian told me, his shoulders hunched.

My heart twisted in pain. It was true that Ian and I weren't good for each other, but I had loved him for a very long time.

"Did you go to the doctor?" I asked and he shook his head. "Why is it happening?"

He shrugged. "The smoking," he ventured a guess.

I sighed. "You've been smoking again?" I asked.

Ian had a problem with smoking. He would smoke even though I despised it, but it was controlled for the past two years and now that I had no control, he had fallen back to his usual ways.

Ian shrugged, dismissively, like it wasn't his fault that he had been smoking.

"Why are you smoking?" I asked him, almost pleading, "You know it's bad for you. Please, just stop smoking, Ian."

He looked at me with a frown. "I don't need to listen to you anymore," he told me, coldly.

I inhaled sharply, a lump forming in my throat. Ian always became so cold and unfeeling when he was angry.