CHAPTER THIRTY

Maybe it was touching

Or maybe I had forgotten what it was like to be treated nicely.

Even though Ian had never mistreated me, he hadn't exactly made the effort to go the extra mile and do the little things he could to keep me happy.

I tried to get him his favorite donuts whenever I passed by that bakery. He would be happy and he would eat it. It was never reciprocated.

I hated that I wanted to it be.

I didn't do things for him expecting him to do things for me, too. Then again, shouldn't your boyfriend, or any person that you're with do things for you just to keep you happy?

Maybe I was just so out of touch with it.

My heart swelled when I walked in through my door that evening.

Aiden had snuck in before me and set up candles around the house, with a bouquet of brightly coloured flowers and the coffee table was set up with the sushi that he had promised.

I didn't mean to, but tears came to my eyes.

"Aiden," I practically cried.

His eyes widened, confused.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his smile drooping.

"Nothing's wrong," I told him, closing the door, "Everything's so right. Look at all this. Oh, Aiden, it's so beautiful."

That made the smile on Aiden's face return. "I thought you might like a nice dinner," he said, "That I didn't cook."

I gave him a look. "I like your cooking. Remember, I ate like three servings of spaghetti yesterday?"

Aiden laughed and nodded. "Come on," he waved me over to the coffee table, "Do you want to eat now?"

"Starving," I told him, discarding my bags on to the table and walking over to him.

Aiden wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me towards him, kissing me. I melted into him, loving the way he kissed me.

"Let's have dinner," he said to me.

We sat down and Aiden handed me various types of sushi, stuffing them into my mouth.

"So," he said, "I spoke to Ian today."

I glanced at him, a sushi roll halfway between my plate and my mouth. Out of fear of dropping it, I stuffed it into my mouth and nodded. "About what?" I asked, my words coming out strangely.

"About yesterday."

"Aiden. What did you say to him?"

Aiden shook his head, telling me that it's not what I think. "I called him into speak to me because I was pretty sure I knew what was going on. And I was right."