CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

My entire car ride to work that morning was consumed without thoughts of how weirded out and worried Rosalie had been the night before because of Ian's impromptu proclamation of love for her

She had paced up and down in her living room the night before, relating everything that had happened to me.

I listened.

I wasn't entirely sure what to do or how to tell her that I would make everything better in a way that Rosalie would believe me, but I had managed to calm her down enough for her to be able to eat three servings of the spaghetti that I had made.

That made me smile.

The passion and vigour with which Rosalie ate the food she liked; it was almost the same passion and vigour with which she planned her weddings.

I had an inkling of a feeling that I knew what had made Ian suddenly remember Rosalie, but I didn't want to worry her with it.

Instead, I had woken up a little earlier and made waffles for her, for a change and watched her eat it like she hadn't seen food for days.

That had ensured that Rosalie went to work happy, while I had the opportunity to get to the bottom of the goings on of the night before.

Right before I got off the car, I sent a quick text to her:

Waffles for breakfast and pancakes for dinner might be a bit overkill. I'll bring some sushi home for dinner. I hope you have a day as wonderful as you are.

Hoping that would make her smile, I went up to the thirty-sixth floor, where investment bankers and employees from Arthur's company were milling around with the employees of mine, going through document after document, penning in alterations and cuts while they drank copious amounts of coffee.

I watched them, standing outside the conference room. Hardly any of them even raised their head, making me wonder whether they would even know if a war were waging outside.

"Enjoying the view, Aiden?" Arthur's voice touched my ears.

I turned to see Arthur nodding to the world outside the windows as he approached me. "I went over to Woods Towers recently. That Hardwood boy has a spectacular view, too."

I nodded, knowingly. "No, Arthur, I'm watching our employees."

"Do they seem to be working hard enough?" he asked, jovially.

I laughed with him. "I sometimes wonder whether they work too hard. Do you think they would know if the building was on fire?"

"Are you kidding me? Those investment bankers would be the first ones out of here and the first whiff of smoke," he said to me. People had a strange thing against investment bankers, I had come to realize. "The others, however, I don't really know."

I saw Arthur look up at me from the corner of my eyes. He cleared his throat. "I, uh, heard about the split, Aiden."

A slow smile spread across my face. "Oh."