CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Even when Rosalie wasn't near me, she was distracting me from my work

I shook my head and told myself that I would get through an entire document without a thought of her.

Carmelina walked into the living room, where I was seated. "I did not make you breakfast today, but you have had breakfast you told me," she told me, disapprovingly.

I raised an eyebrow at her, amused.

"So, I made you a healthy lunch," she said, setting down a tray on the table in front of me, "Young men must eat healthy."

"Thank you, Carmelina," I said to her, pushing my file aside and pulling the tray closer to me, "You're too good to me."

She nodded to me and walked away.

Knowing that Carmelina wouldn't rest until I had eaten properly under her supervision, I finished the lunch she had made for me before returning to my work.

I only realized that evening had come when she walked into the living room to say goodbye.

"Do you need anything else, sir, or I will be leaving?" she said.

I looked up, seeing only then the darkness of the twilight that had set it. I rubbed my eyes.

"Yes, Carmelina, you may go," I told her, "Thank you."

"I'll see you tomorrow," she said, waving to me and left.

I waited until I heard the door close and I got up, stretching out all the tension and contraction I had accrued during the day. I decided to pour myself a drink.

I had just taken a sip when I heard the doorbell ring.

I smiled. I knew Rosalie would have come after finishing her work.

I set my glass down and went to the door, with a smile on my face, thankful for the company that I get after a day of work.

I opened the door for her and looked at her.

My eyes widened.

"Caroline?"

Caroline Baxter stood there, wearing a low-cut red dress, carrying a Louis Vuitton handbag and a matching pull-along bag, giving me brightest smile I had ever seen her sport.

"Aiden, darling," she said, breezily, sauntering into the house, pulling her bag behind her, "It's so nice to see you."

I closed the door behind her. "Caroline, what?"

"Oh, Aiden," she said, rushing over to me and putting a finger over my lips, "Darling, please. Don't say anything. Don't say anything about our fight. It was just so horrible, wasn't it?"

"What?" I asked, blinking.

"It's been almost three weeks since we've seen each other, darling," she told me, making her eyes look innocent, "Don't let's talk about that. Come on, let's sit down and have a nice drink and a chat, shall we?"