22. | alt. ending

MEMORIES OF A
LIFE THAT'S BEEN
L O V E D

〽〽〽

C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y - T W O

REMUS ROLLED HIS EYES at them, "remind me again, why am I still friends with you guys?"

"Because you love us!" Sirius purred. This made Remus to contort his features to disgust.

"Shhh!" Peter suddenly whisper yelled frantically, making the two boys jump up in alert before taking their position. Peter leaned next to their dorm room, Sirius was inspecting a plant while Remus stared up the ceiling.

The door opened to reveal the couple. James was practically smitten based on his expression. He let her go through the door first, eyeing his friends suspiciously, who, in turn, gave him thumbs up while Roxanne wasn't looking.

IT WAS A particularly gloomy night in Godric's Hollow. Roxanne felt an unnerving feeling in the pit of her stomach. She held her child, Harry, close to her. She may not have liked the existence of the books but she didn't want to botch the name of this dimension's supposed hero. Plus, the name had a nice ring to it.

She looked down worriedly at the child, kissing his forehead gently. "I swear on whatever higher being out there that I'll always be here for you." She whispered.

Little Harry smiled brightly at his mother's touch. Roxanne couldn't comprehend how she loved Harry. She knew about the scary adventures he'll go through after seeing the wrath of the Dark Lord himself. She closed her eyes as she recounted all the friends she had lost. Lily, Juliet, Anne, Marlene, Dorcas... It made her all the more to keep her family safe.

James suddenly burst through the door, hair messier than usual and eyes frantic. Roxanne turned to him, scared.

"He's here," he said. The fear in the girl's eyes made him want to go over to her. But he knew he couldn't waste any time. "Take Harry, you need to get out of here."

"H-how did he know..." She trailed off.

James didn't reply, he only at her with a stern look, confirming her assumption. A mixture of hurt and betrayal flashed through her face. "Oh Peter..."

"We don't have much time." James said, walking towards her.

Roxanne grabbed his arm, "I'm not leaving you, James. I didn't before and I'm not going to now."

His gaze softened. He took her arm off him. "You have to."

"You don't have your wand." She told him. James only ignored her. He looked down at their son, kissing the top of his head. He turned back to Roxanne, silently begging her to go. He gave her one last kiss, pulling away quickly. He took one last good look at Roxanne. No matter how many times he had looked at her, it always felt like that night in the Quidditch field. Without another thought, he was outside.

Roxanne stood helplessly in the middle of the room, Harry staring up at her curiously. She sighed, her hand reaching for her pocket only to realise that her wand wasn't there. Her eyes widened, her heart pounding faster than ever as she watched a spark of green light peek through the small spaces around the door.